Member Array
    Car:
    vtack+non-vtak

Lip kit fitting, Heat gun techniques

Hi All,

I'm sorting out at the moment a plan of attack in order to fit my whole lip kit.

currently i am almost done with sanding down the panels and deciding on which primer to use. Im still contemplating whether or not to go acrylic or 2 pack as acrylic will be very cost effective for me and i have used it many many times but 2pack only once or twice.

As the lip kit is of ABS plastic material - is it worth while to use a plastic primer and is any adhesion promoter advised to be sprayed on after the primer? or will normal acrylic primer be fine even if i deicde to go with 2pack paint.

But that aside, my main concern is fittment. test fitting the lipkit without bolting on etc there are a few minor gaps i want addressed. I havent had any experience with a heatgun before and was just wondering if theres any techniques or methods of using it for getting the lip as flush as possbile with the bumpers.

Like what sort of feeling are you looking for so you know its now OK to bend the areas to be addressed? and what if you get it too hot that the paint might start messin up, what is that like? can i use a spray bottle of water to cool it down after i bend it to the desired fitment? do i need gloves?

I've doen a search on ozhonda but didnt seem to find what i was looking for. A few mentions of heatgun and water but not so much really the technique.

If anyone can share their experience with the heatgun that would be great!

Thanks in advance,

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    get gloves, and a wet cloth, maybe even a water bucket but keep it away from the heat gun.

heat it till its ply-able. but not till u can see it deforming before your eyes, apply heat and try pressing it onto and into the gaps, and keep heating until its hot enough and get used to that level.

you dont want it to go all sticky and gooey, just slightly softer.