Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC5R

Rotor and brake pad recommendations

Hey all,

need some recommendations for best bang for buck slotted rotor and brake pad upgrade but still able to use OEM caliper.
    I dont mind paying for new calipers aswell but itll all depend on pricing in the end.. looking to change both front and rear.
    Currently driving a DC5R, not used on track, but spirited driving here and there

Cheers!

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    well for budget rotors there are 2 real options;
    RDA- verry cheap...like 300 for a full sloted sett for a dc2 however they have the reputation of cracking in extream track conditions however its been shown that running a cool lap after a very heavy one helps here.
    DBA-there are several options here but really your looking at 600+, they are a nicer disc then the RDA and you have the options of 2 peice rotors etc etc but the basic t3 slotted 4000 series will cost you at least double the RDA slotted. i dont think they last twice as long IMHO.

With pads its a bit of personal preffrence on how you like to drive but for me personaly i like a pad that works from 0 degree and is rated to at least 450, `theres a trade off here between hardess of the pad (hard on rotors), dust from the pads (makes your sweet rims look poo) and noise (not a cool look at all) i think some big names here are;

EBC- verry popular you would prolly be looking at there "green stuff" or "yellow stuff" range here, these are a popular pad but have the reputation of being dusty.
    expect to be paying 150-220 per set depending where u go

Bendix-popular street pad, not to popular in the racing game though from what i have seen. honestly the bendix ultimates or track/street pads have a reputation for being noisy and they reatil around 160-200 per set.

Hawk-Verry popular pads in the U.S not so popular here due to few suppliers, they seem to be a good balance of the noise/dust/hardness i was lucky enough to pick em up at 100 per set but am yet to review them properly.

ferodo- all crap pads (basicly your brake pedal becomes a dust button) till you get to there track pads ds2500?? series i think they are called are verry highly regarded but quite costly im not 100 % but i think your paying over 200 per set which for me would be fine on a track car but not a streeter.

hope you found my nonsense helpful, id also recomend upgrading your lines to a quality braded set like goodridge or HEL as they are both ADR approved and they improve your pedal feel a Good deal an prevent hose buldging.

-Dave
    Edit: there are heeps of others out there but these are the ones that jump to mind, QFM are ment to make good pads too ( look into em, they are a local company).
    Last edited by Daveho1; 07-05-2013 at 05:14 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Daveho1 in the face again."
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    I've heard good things about QFM pads.

Anyway, Dave's given a pretty good summary there
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    fawk rep in the face!
    Last edited by Daveho1; 07-05-2013 at 06:44 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    Ds2500 dba4000 kunt go wrong abo
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    well yes but there is budget to consider...

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveho1 View Post
    fawk guys your warm rep feels good spread over my face.
    you're welcome.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    you're welcome.
    hahahha lol!

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC5R
    Daveho1 - Cheers mate! appreciate all the info and help!

Slotted but not drilled do they crack just as easy as drilled?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    i think that yes the cross drilled are more likely to crack but for the most part i wouldnt worry about it. unless you run farkn hard as.on the street they would be fine. on the track i would opt for dimpled or just sloted and be sure to have a cool down lap to be safe

edit:ill also add that brake fluid is very over looked, use a quality fluid and change it fairly regularly- i do mine every 20k or once a year and id do it befor a track day. brake fluid is interesting because the dot ratings set up minimum specs but i havent come across listings of the boiling points of common brakefluids... im gonna be playing around with diffrent fluids when i get my new setup going. bit i think ill start with castrol response.

edit2: sorry i misread, becaus slotred and dimpled rotors arnt hut right through its not as structualy damaging as cross.drilled
    Last edited by Daveho1; 08-05-2013 at 04:02 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizz View Post
    Daveho1 - Cheers mate! appreciate all the info and help!

Slotted but not drilled do they crack just as easy as drilled?
    Nah they're fine.

The problem is when you have a weakness that changes the metallic structure all the way through.

I would assume most slutted rotors are cast in (someone correct me here)
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC