Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    no weetek civic

Ebay rebuild kit

With my b18 out, I'm deciding what to do with it. Either just service it (belts, pumps, etc) or do a rebuild. It's done about 160-170k kms from what I know, and early indicators don't look like it was super healthy (oil in spark plug chambers etc) but in saying that, the head itself is free of grime and gunk and stuff like that.

In terms of rebuilding it, I have been watching this item for a long time:
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=151042734792

About ~$400 for an entire rebuild kit, which seems logical, considering I don't swim in money. But would it be worth it?

Or would I be better off slowly buying OEM spec things from Honda and maybe some Type R bits along the way (I've seen pistons, valve springs stuff like that going pretty cheap in the marketplace).

I've got plenty of help and I can get access to tools and whatever I may not have so that's not a problem.
    Last edited by carayan; 14-05-2013 at 12:18 PM.
    SSpamily

hehe

Member Array
    Car:
    usdm whore
    Timing Belt get Honda
    water Pump get Honda
    Tensioner get Honda

Gaskets and Seals aftermarket ones work well.
    Alt and P/S belt can get from repco

you don't need pistons and rings or bearings unless you wanna rebuild your motor and if you are going to do so, you would want to get branded sh!et

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by z3lda View Post
    Timing Belt get Honda
    water Pump get Honda
    Tensioner get Honda

you don't need pistons and rings or bearings unless you wanna rebuild your motor and if you are going to do so, you would want to get branded sh!et
    Agree with this.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    I have the reverse opinion.

Timing belt - Gates or Dayco
    Water pump - GMB, Repco brand (still made by GMB just cheaper)
    Tensioner - Get it in a Gates or Dayco timing belt kit

Gaskets & seals - Genuine last longer and seal nicer than aftermarket

Drive belts - Gates, Dayco or Repco

Have been doing things this way for years and have not had any issue's.

If you are going to rebuild the motor (new rings, bearings etc) do not order a single item until you have stripped the complete motor, measured everything and made sure that you do not need to linish the crank or bore the motor and run oversize pistons/rings as you will end up paying for things twice
    Last edited by stndrd; 14-05-2013 at 04:27 PM.
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    no weetek civic
    Quote Originally Posted by z3lda View Post
    Timing Belt get Honda
    water Pump get Honda
    Tensioner get Honda

Quote Originally Posted by stndrd View Post
    I have the reverse opinion.

Timing belt - Gates or Dayco
    Water pump - GMB, Repco brand (still made by GMB just cheaper)
    Tensioner - Get it in a Gates or Dayco timing belt kit

Gaskets & seals - Genuine last longer and seal nicer than aftermarket

Drive belts - Gates, Dayco or Repco

Have been doing things this way for years and have not had any issue's.

If you are going to rebuild the motor (new rings, bearings etc) do not order a single item until you have stripped the complete motor, measured everything and made sure that you do not need to linish the crank or bore the motor and run oversize pistons/rings as you will end up paying for things twice
    I'll take your advice on board before I place money somewhere.

Would it be worth rebuilding considering the age of the motor, or would I be better off just doing a major service on it?
    SSpamily

hehe

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    You dont have to get all OEM honda....

I totally agree with stndrd, try to get OEM seals, if not then aftermarket is fine. I would just get a genuine rear main seal.

for things like timing belt, tensioner, water pump & oil pump aftermarket is fine.

Do a compression or leakdown test on the motor to check its condition.
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    no weetek civic
    Quote Originally Posted by grifty View Post
    You dont have to get all OEM honda....

I totally agree with stndrd, try to get OEM seals, if not then aftermarket is fine. I would just get a genuine rear main seal.

for things like timing belt, tensioner, water pump & oil pump aftermarket is fine.

Do a compression or leakdown test on the motor to check its condition.
    Was looking at doing a leakdown test but the spark plug chambers are filled with oil, would pulling out the spark plugs cause damage with the oil draining out?
    SSpamily

hehe

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by carayan View Post
    Would it be worth rebuilding considering the age of the motor, or would I be better off just doing a major service on it?
    you don't strip a motor down cos it's old, you strip a motor down because you're sick of burning oil, want some more grunt back and can see it financially viable.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    If you have oil in the spark plug tubes, it means your spark plug tube seals are leaking.

If you are going to do a leak down test, I would pull the spark plugs out, let the oil go into the cylinders, put it back together then run the car to burn off the oil. Once you have done that let the car cool down then carry out the leak down test.

Rebuilding is purely up to you. If you want to extract some more power, why not stick a set of new pistons and camshafts in and go from there. It really depends on how much you are willing to spend and what you want from the engine
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    no weetek civic
    Quote Originally Posted by stndrd View Post
    If you have oil in the spark plug tubes, it means your spark plug tube seals are leaking.

If you are going to do a leak down test, I would pull the spark plugs out, let the oil go into the cylinders, put it back together then run the car to burn off the oil. Once you have done that let the car cool down then carry out the leak down test.

Rebuilding is purely up to you. If you want to extract some more power, why not stick a set of new pistons and camshafts in and go from there. It really depends on how much you are willing to spend and what you want from the engine
    oh forgot to mention the engine isn't in a car, I bought a wreck and only recently pulled it out.

I was looking at some new cams and pistons at least type r (or equiv) but i figured for its age maybe rebuilding would be better.
    SSpamily

hehe

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    Quote Originally Posted by carayan View Post
    Was looking at doing a leakdown test but the spark plug chambers are filled with oil, would pulling out the spark plugs cause damage with the oil draining out?
    shove a rag on a screwdriver to soak up the oil

Also i wouldnt use the pistons from that kit.
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    no weetek civic
    Quote Originally Posted by grifty View Post
    shove a rag on a screwdriver to soak up the oil

Also i wouldnt use the pistons from that kit.
    Will do.

At this stage I'm not going to be buying that kit, see how the leak down goes (just waiting on the leak down device) and yeah go from there.
    SSpamily

hehe