Member Array
    Car:
    K20 DC2

k20a3/k20a2 A few questions

I'm just wondering if its worth putting a k20a2 head on my k20a3 block, will I need to work the block because of the lower compression? Will I need a new gearbox? Or could I just swap the internals from the k20a2 head to the k20a3 head? Should I just go vtec killer?

And I've read about people using a k24a heads, is that ok for p-platers.

Any other ideas?

I have K-pro.

Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5, EF8, EF2
    I'm unsure of the regulations in NSW, but here in Victoria it's illegal for a P plater to drive a car with engine modifications, if it's the same there you can't do the head swap.

I personally think it's a bit of a waste of time to swap to the A2 head, you'd probably have to do something funky to get the VTECs to work since your block may not have the oil supply in the correct place, but I have no idea. No gearbox swap would be required. No bottom end work would be required, but I'd be careful of piston to valve clearances as I imagine the A3 pistons don't have large valve reliefs like the A2 pistons. You're better off just waiting until you're off your Ps and putting a K24A3 in complete if you really want to keep that car.

That said if you're pretty handy mechanically I've seen a few A2 cam equipped VTEC killer K20A3s in the US and they seem to make good power.

Member Array
    Car:
    99 EM1
    Nsw, its allowed

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5, EF8
    A2 Cam and Rocker swap for VTEC killer A3
    Timmy_B DC5 Build

"isnt the vtec the same concept as a turbo anyway.."