Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: |N|'s DIY CAI

TRIPLE OG Array
    Car:
    b18c crx/that's
    the same as mine but i dont have the lil holes in mine. i found on mine (gen2 crx) it performed and sounded much better.
    www.lozzz.com - car spotting, food and other random crap from Japan

recovering.... Array
    Car:
    Nicole
    Quote Originally Posted by panda[CRX]
    the same as mine but i dont have the lil holes in mine. i found on mine (gen2 crx) it performed and sounded much better.
    yea.. but the holes i have r heaps small... so i guess its alrite la

Member Array
    Car:
    DC4
    You made a hole in your front bar with a pocket knife? *sigh*....Nick...........

Btw, the ribbed and slightly overly flexible nature of that sort of piping is apparently not as optimal as other stiffer material based hosing for your intake. But hey, if it works and you feel a difference, then it's all good.

recovering.... Array
    Car:
    Nicole
    Quote Originally Posted by joneblaze
    You made a hole in your front bar with a pocket knife? *sigh*....Nick...........

Btw, the ribbed and slightly overly flexible nature of that sort of piping is apparently not as optimal as other stiffer material based hosing for your intake. But hey, if it works and you feel a difference, then it's all good.
    dodgy yea... haha..lols...
    but it wont flex... coz it fits in perfectly... i can handly move it ,, so i guess its alrite...

TRAVDM Array
    Car:
    Lots of Hondas
    well done nick, looks good man, your filter will work much better now
    oh wrd!

Member Array
    Car:
    DC4
    Quote Originally Posted by |N|
    dodgy yea... haha..lols...
    but it wont flex... coz it fits in perfectly... i can handly move it ,, so i guess its alrite...
    Not only that, the ribbed design of the piping will technically screw up a clean smooth air flow intake, creating turbulence in the piping.

recovering.... Array
    Car:
    Nicole
    Not only that, the ribbed design of the piping will technically screw up a clean smooth air flow intake, creating turbulence in the piping.
    yea jon i get wat u mean ... if i can get my hands on a better one... i might change the pipe.. but this ll do for now...

Quote Originally Posted by egSi
    well done nick, looks good man, your filter will work much better now .
    yea man ... now i can really feel the k&n power yo,..

some turbulence is better than totally clean cut smooth walls.

think of a ping pong ball...and then a golf ball.
    Which one will go the further distance with the same force applied ?

Banned Array
    Car:
    Mud Crow
    A golf ball would. Hitting both with the same 3 Wood, the Golf ball would go 200m and the ping pong ball would get dented and go 3m because its made of thin plastic.
    If your talking about aero dynamics then yes the dimples on the golfball allow it to travel further because the dimples lessen the turbulence as it travels through the air but this only applies to and object(ball) going through air, not air going through an object such as a pipe.

This piping would create turbulence, thus slowing down the air, and creating more friction=heat. Please explain your theory more? :|

Anyway still if you get a gain it's all good.
    Good right up |N|

Quote Originally Posted by KB
    This piping would create turbulence, thus slowing down the air, and creating more friction=heat. Please explain your theory more? :|
    Perhaps not the best example - my basic point is a fine level of "turbulence" is beneficial for air flow.(especially in more contricted areas, such as the throttle body, inlet manifold etc) Alittle bit of a rough surface is OK.

It's to do with the boundary layer.
    At a very small level, where the moving air touches the surface of something like an inlet port, it moves very slowly. As you move a small fraction away from the surface, the airspeed starts to pick up, to the point where it's the same as the airlflow around the middle of the port.
    The thicker the boundary layer, the smaller the effective size of the port and so the less air will get in.
    So, to make the boundary layer thinner, you need to get it to stick to the port walls etc as best as possible. That's where the slightly rough surface comes in, it helps make the layer thinner.
    It's also why golfballs have a dimpled surface, it helps reduce drag as they fly along, and makes the flight more predictable.

Its mostly theory mixed with what expericenced people have told me.
    Last edited by bennjamin; 28-03-2005 at 12:59 AM.

recovering.... Array
    Car:
    Nicole
    so ben r u sayin that the pipe i have now is good enf to do the job?