Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Car Choice

Car Choice

Hi,

Wife and I need a new car, I gave my 2004 Golf to my daughter so wife and I are hunting around.

Anyway our budget was $26k of the banks money as that's what we can afford in repayments.

Looked at the following:

Kazashi
    Cruze 1.6
    Mazda 3

Wife ruled all of the above out and so comes to Civic Vs Accord Vti. I can get a brand new Accord for $26 800 drive away as a run out. However I can get the Civic vti-l for about $23,500.

Test drove the accord and very smooth but felt enormous. I prefer the civic but think the 1.8 might be sluggish especially on the freeway, but the size is better.

So I am wondering, from experience that you guys have would the Civic be adequate and that way save $3000 ? I have read mixed reviews about its handling and test drives only give you a few km's not like a freeway run.

Advice/suggestions really appreciated.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    LOL Cruze or Kazashi

the 1.6 turbo on the Cruze is a cracker
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by zack9 View Post
    So I am wondering, from experience that you guys have would the Civic be adequate and that way save $3000 ? I have read mixed reviews about its handling and test drives only give you a few km's not like a freeway run.

Advice/suggestions really appreciated.
    Do you live out in the hills? Do you enjoy a spirited drive? If not, then why should handling be a concern?

Test drive at a dealer near the freeway - I'm sure they'll include a bit of freeway time
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    Test drive at a dealer near the freeway - I'm sure they'll include a bit of freeway time
    when my parents purchased the legend, they took the car home for a weekend (saturday morning > monday morning). no obligation. because my parents dont believe on buying a car based on a 10min test drive.

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster

Cheers for the replies.

I test drove the Civic yesterday. Dealer wouldn't hardly let me go even offered free leather seats ( 3rd party).

Anyway car went OK nothing fantastic...adequate I suppose. Cruze Sri is very good but I question reliability. Mazda 3 very nice but rough suspension and plastic inside, the Civic is better in the cabin imo.

I generally go once per week to Newcastle to visit parents so yeah aiming for something with a bit of get up and go n the highway not after a rocket though.

I did read somewhere but cant find the link that the Accord & Civic have the same power to weight ratio.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    tried the Kazashi yet? it should be a decent ride.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Quote Originally Posted by Fredoops View Post
    tried the Kazashi yet? it should be a decent ride.
    No, its a nice car just pricey...out of my budget.

Honestly, if I had the extra I like the Civic sport but just too expensive and sadly no deals. Might save the money and go the Equipe 1,4 turbo at about $20k drive away it may be an acceptable compromise.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    1.4t Cruize is gutless. Go the 1.6t or nothing. If you do go cruising around on the fwy a lot, I would recommend a used falcodore. I don't know about the regular accord or CU2, but the last gen Mazda 6 and CL9 were terrible for FWY driving which accounts for half my trip to work. Anything over 80km/h and road noise means you really have to turn up the volume. "Sporty" suspension and low profile tyres also means jiggly ride. Driving my mates VE (earliest batch of Omega, i.e. the worst of all VE with v6 and 4sp shitbox) and that felt like a luxury limo in comparison. Same applies for my old man's 05 corolla. Small 4's just don't cut it for fwy cruising, although the 1.6t cruize is a different story.

Member Array
    Car:
    Waiting on ride
    You didn't consider the new Ford Focus Turbo Diesel?
    SOHC just kicked in YO!

Thanks really for the advice. I have one issue which ruled out the Accord. I have a 750 1989 Honda Shadow ACE (love that bike) it HAS to go in the garage and only place is behind the car. So I cant really go longer than 4.7 m, rules out the 4.9m Accord.

Did see a Euro on Carsales, $30,000...way more than I want/can spend. So emailed the dealer maybe he is keen to sell and might be happy to take $27,000. If not I move on & he keeps the car. Getting a bit tough and not worried about being seen as a scab.

why care what others think of you? its your money, your car, your decision. dont care what others think, just put in an offer, because i always say an offer is better than no offer at all.