Member Array
    Car:
    K20 DC2

Weird clutch and brake noises

I have a heavy duty clutch installed and when the car is idling sometimes your can hear a grinding sound coming from the clutch, also when the clutch starts to engage there is a pretty loud grinding sound, but it goes away when driving, could this be my clutch bearings?

Also my brakes make a really loud noise when I use them in reverse, but they are fine when driving.

Any ideas?
    Thanks

Was the HD Clutch assembly new? [Release Bearing + Pressure Plate + Clutch Disc]

Was the flywheel machined?

Stock brakes?
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

what exact type of clutch ?

If its a double or triple clutch ( like HKS ) these CAN have a grinding noise at idle.

But , if its a normal single faced clutch then the noise might be bearing related. Id say the release bearing or even input shaft bearing....

does the car have a distinct whine as it accelerates and decelerates ?

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 DC2
    Clutch: Competition Clutch K-series Stage 4 Strip Series 1620 Clutch Kit
    Fly wheel: Competition Clutch K-series Ultra Lightweight Steel Flywheel
    The car does have a quite whining sound when accelerating at low rpm.

Dc5r brakes. The brakes are worse In the morning.

Member Array
    Car:
    Waiting on ride
    I would think that the grinding could be the clutch if it is that type of clutch + pressure plate combo.. not sure if the lightweight flywheel will make it better either. The grinding / chattering of a heavy heavy duty clutch + pressure plate combo goes away while driving but will be evident when cold, should be gone while warm.

Not sure the issue with the brakes.. you say it is only in reverse. You may not have it in reverse properly.. not sure man.

What noise is it making?
    SOHC just kicked in YO!

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8
    Are the brakes new? And if their high performance brakes you could have to just bed them in, can't remember what pads I put in my mates car but it took about 2000 ks to get rid of most of the noise. Still slight squeal on cold but after the first or second stop they're pretty much ok. Btw how far arw you driving in reverse to notice them making noise lol.

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    I would check the condition of your front and rear pads, you will find one of them to be low and require replacement.
    OEM parts whore

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1259 View Post
    Clutch: Competition Clutch K-series Stage 4 Strip Series 1620 Clutch Kit
    Fly wheel: Competition Clutch K-series Ultra Lightweight Steel Flywheel
    The car does have a quite whining sound when accelerating at low rpm.

Dc5r brakes. The brakes are worse In the morning.
    A Sprung 6 Puk Clutch, unless designed very well will have the clutch whining etc. That's normal for comp style clutches.

As for the brakes check how much pad is left and what type of pads they are if possible. They don't sound stock...
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter