Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

how much of a deal break is high km's on an ek civic vti-r?

Hi guys,
    Over the past week or so I've been looking into selling my car in favour of something more compact, fun to drive and cheaper to run - the civic vti-r is among the finer choices I've come across.
    The problem is the few that are available and fit my budget all have what I would class as very high (200+) km's.

I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice regarding how big of a deal this is?

There's one that looks neat as a pin and completely stock with 240 and then theres a couple around 200-220 with mods that that reflect the different owners varying degrees of taste (which could be harder kms than that of the stock one?).

Depending on your advice I might abandon the idea altogether if my budget cant stretch to a worthwhile example (~$6000)

Thanks in advance
    Kind regards

(p.s sorry if this same question has been asked to death - i'm new hear and wasnt having much luck with the search feature)

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1 & GD3
    Considering the age of the car I wouldn't let k's deter me too much... reality of it is that if it has low k's and it fits your ~$6,000 budget then theres something fishy going on.

Check the car out properly; the condition/mods should tell you what kind of life the car has had. Personally I would buy a vti-r with 240,000km over a cxi/gli with lower k's.
    Team West Yo!!

www.circuitclub.com.au

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    I dont understand why people get all hung up on a vehicle having high km.

The average distance per year a vehicle drives is 15k kms. Lets say youre looking at a 98 model. Thats 210k kms.

Based on that, id say anything less than about 250k is perfectly normal for an EK VTi-R.

Dont let kms deter you, make sure you get a good look at the condition of it. Check to see if the service manual has been filled out, and when they stopped doing it. Most factory service manuals go up to about 180k, but people normally stop getting them filled in after 100k, because the warranty has run out, so whats the point of keeping a record.

Check under the bonnet for a timing belt change sticker, and when it was last done. Dont forget that its not just based on km, they do deteriorate with age. The car might only have 80k on it, but if its 13 years old, its well overdue for a change,

Check out the condition of the tyres, if they look to be wearing unevenly, this means that suspension bushes will need to be changed. Look for oil around the engine, for leaky gaskets and seals. Check things like cv boots to see if they have been replaced.

My commodore has over 300k kms on it, its a 97 model, its done an average of 18k kms per year. Its in good condition, looks and runs great.

Dont let the number on the odomoter be your first impression.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 200sx S14
    As trism said dont let Kms cause you to second guess the car they are reaching 13+yrs now. If you want one just look around and inspect them properly and dont rush into it.
    Last edited by FenrirWC; 30-05-2013 at 06:33 PM. Reason: edited details

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Theyre not reaching 10+, the youngest youll find will be 13 years old, theyre all well past the 10 year mark lol
    to see all of my build, checkout

It would only be a deal breaker if it hasn't been turbo charged.

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    Quote Originally Posted by freshmaker View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys!

FenrirWC:
    I found your car on gumtree, looks pretty neat! Not a big fan of the colour but thats not too important. I hadn't seen it because I'd only been looking within Victoria - I'd always ignorantly just assumed that it was too expensive and too much effort to buy a car from interstate, however I have absolutely no idea and searching through VicRoads is only getting me more confused. Anybody know a rough outline of expenses involved in buying a car from interstate?

lolmclol:
    Of all the cars I've looked at none of them have been turbo (which is beside the that point that I'm not looking for a turbo car, I just havent come across any of them) and the very lowest km's I've found on any have been ~160 - does this mean you're telling me none of the cars out there are worth it?
    get a fd1, will solve all issues
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Quote Originally Posted by RenzokukenJ View Post
    get a fd1, will solve all issues
    fd1 is the 2006+ civic with 1.8l right?
    well carsguide wasn't blown away with it "The Sport is functional but not a particularly engaging driving experience. Performance is okay, handling is okay.."
    and they are also a bit outside my budget. I'm after a cheap economical car that is practical enough to be driven around the city by a student but can put a smile on your face driving through the hills on a weekend.
    Thanks for the advice though.

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    fd1 is the 2006+ civic with 1.8l right?
    well carsguide wasn't blown away with it "The Sport is functional but not a particularly engaging driving experience. Performance is okay, handling is okay.."
    and they are also a bit outside my budget. I'm after a cheap economical car that is practical enough to be driven around the city by a student but can put a smile on your face driving through the hills on a weekend.
    Thanks for the advice though.
    they arent bad man, serious

the money you save with petrol in the newer car will be much more worth it
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWC View Post
    I currently have my 1995 honda civic vti-r for sale with 195,XXX kms and am asking $6k yet have only had 2 people contact me about it, one wanting to swap (which i wasn't interested in doing) and the other asking what the lowest price I would take without even looking at the car (which is completely stock condition)

As trism said dont let Kms cause you to second guess the car they are reaching 10+yrs now. If you want one just look around and inspect them properly and dont rush into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by lolmclol View Post
    It would only be a deal breaker if it hasn't been turbo charged.

FenrirWC:
    I found your car on gumtree, looks pretty neat! Not a big fan of the colour but thats not too important. I hadn't seen it because I'd only been looking within Victoria - I'd always ignorantly just assumed that it was too expensive and too much effort to buy a car from interstate, however I have absolutely no idea and searching through VicRoads is only getting me more confused. Anybody know a rough outline of expenses involved in buying a car from interstate?

lolmclol:
    Of all the cars I've looked at none of them have been turbo (which is beside the that point that I'm not looking for a turbo car, I just havent come across any of them) and the very lowest km's I've found on any have been ~160 - does this mean you're telling me none of the cars out there are worth it?

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 200sx S14

FenrirWC:
    Ahh my bad should of said im in tassie i was just using my car as an example lol As for buying interstate it gets difficult if its NSW or ACT you are probably better off as you can just go look at the cars and if you like them buy them and drive them back. Unlike us in tas if we like a car in melb we have to fly over ... decide if we want to buy it then bring it back on the boat lol
    Last edited by FenrirWC; 30-05-2013 at 05:43 PM.

If you need more information, PM EKVTIR-T, he's a knowledge base of information in regards to it!

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/member.php?2484-EKVTIR-T