Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FD1 Heavy Vibration

Hi guys,

Got a FD Auto with 110k kms and recently it developed a nasty vibration. It originally only happened when you started it up when cold and in Park and reverse, but now it's always there, especially noticeable when taking foot off the throttle, under acceleration it's much better.

My initial thoughts are engine mounts, but how do I know which one has gone bad?

Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    FDrive
    check engine mounts, its gone bad when u see it has cracked, u would usually hear a clunk in the front when driving

or could be the auto transmission, do u know when u last change the transmission fluid? the new honda auto transmission fully synthetic atf-dw1 replaces the old semi-syn atf-z1

i had little vibrations when i had the old transmission oil when at traffic stops. now the new atf-dw1, car runs smooth

also, is when while ur driving for a while, touch the area just below where the auto transmission stick is... if its hot or warm then u know that u have the old atf-z1 oil... with the new atf-dw1, that area is cold and not warm/hot
    Last edited by JOhnnyFD; 31-05-2013 at 07:51 PM. Reason: hint tip

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, S15
    happend to my sisters corrolla, was the timing chain tensioner
    snapping 2nd..

thanx johnny, im learning it, the spot under the gearbox stick is always hot/warm while driving.

Member Array
    Car:
    FDrive
    Quote Originally Posted by hamham1748 View Post
    thanx johnny, im learning it, the spot under the gearbox stick is always hot/warm while driving.
    yeh tat happened to me as well with the old oil, back then i changed the transmission oil with the old Z1 but was still hot at the gearbox area.. was amazed with the new DW1 oil that it was no longer so

honda does the maintenance schedule for the transmission oil at 120,000km or 72 months (or every 100,000km) which i think is way too long, i do my change every 25,000km or less

Quote Originally Posted by dc2r-0636 View Post
    happend to my sisters corrolla, was the timing chain tensioner
    http://civic.hondafitjazz.com/A00/HT...000DAAT00.html
    Last edited by JOhnnyFD; 31-05-2013 at 10:30 PM.

No idea when the trans oil was changed, it's my mum's car and her work services it for her. I might try changing the oil and see what happens. Somehow I still think it's engine mount related.

Thanks for that^ The AUDM cars use the same mounts as the USDM cars?

Technically yes, although there are minor dimensional differences, if you buy the mounts, do it through the Australian dealerships.

Member Array
    Car:
    jazz
    sigh, same here, 90k auto fd1 2010 left/gearbox mount crack half way, rear/bottom split too. 200+ each from honda ouch

Member Array
    Car:
    jazz
    UPDATE:
    mechanic replaced both torn gearbox mount and rear lower mount, vibration still there.
    Then we found this http://www.civicforums.com/forums/19...erse-gear.html (pics on post #11)
    2x washer later, vibration gone. mount look fine, no crack or spiting fluid whatsoever, it just sagged over time..

Member Array
    Car:
    seebik
    replaced my top right engine mount....vibration gone.
    took me 1hr diy...engine mount cost $120 boomba brand
    Last edited by fitme; 25-04-2015 at 07:24 AM.