Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

uni student wanting a type r !! need your guidance !

hey everyone, firstly, please dont tell me to search because i have searched all the threads relating to my question not only on this site, but various sites and i havnt really been guided to a decision yet, hopefully i can be here..

it started 3 years ago where a friend mentioned type r's to me and i started researching them and instantly fell in love. always been a dc5r fan but recently ep3 too.

i am a full time uni student with little income, i do own a car and maintain it easily but i used that to help me save for this upgrade !

i really would like to settle with an evo but i will be at uni for another few years and maintenance and running costs is out of the question for me, so i am planning to buy this type r to keep for a few years.

what i would like to know is:
    -the reliability of these cars, if anything gos out on them what would it be and how much would i be expecting to pay?
    -every when,does one service their honda (every how many kms, minor and major services) ? including what service items and how much ?
    - what about fuel economy ? will i be breaking the bank ? what fuel do you usually fill up with how much does the tank cost and how many kms do you get ? APPROXIMATELY.
    -i am still undecided about whether i should buy a dc5r or ep3r, but knowing the ep3 is an import i am afraid i will be paying way more to maintain it than a dc5r which will defeat the whole purpose of me not buying the evo in the first place .

thanks in advance really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by RA73DR View Post
    hey everyone, firstly, please dont tell me to search because i have searched all the threads relating to my question not only on this site, but various sites and i havnt really been guided to a decision yet, hopefully i can be here..

it started 3 years ago where a friend mentioned type r's to me and i started researching them and instantly fell in love. always been a dc5r fan but recently ep3 too.

i am a full time uni student with little income, i do own a car and maintain it easily but i used that to help me save for this upgrade !

i really would like to settle with an evo but i will be at uni for another few years and maintenance and running costs is out of the question for me, so i am planning to buy this type r to keep for a few years.

what i would like to know is:
    -the reliability of these cars, if anything gos out on them what would it be and how much would i be expecting to pay?
    -every when,does one service their honda (every how many kms, minor and major services) ? including what service items and how much ?
    - what about fuel economy ? will i be breaking the bank ? what fuel do you usually fill up with how much does the tank cost and how many kms do you get ? APPROXIMATELY. If you cant afford fuel for a Honda then by a push bike.
    -i am still undecided about whether i should buy a dc5r or ep3r, but knowing the ep3 is an import i am afraid i will be paying way more to maintain it than a dc5r which will defeat the whole purpose of me not buying the evo in the first place .

thanks in advance really appreciate it.
    In a nut shell:

reliability - same as anyother car as long as they are maintained right, but Hondas have are a bit more leaniant with parts less prone to failure due to high quality engineering
    service intervals - every 10k km at least by a reputabile mechanic (usually a couple hundred of dollars no more unless things break), most owners do a simple oil and filter change at 5k km themselves. Most major services are at 100 k km intervals, i dont have a service book so cant tell you what exactly needs to be done.
    fuel economy - depends how you drive, expect 400-500km, bit less if hammering it. Use premium, price dependant on the day of the week, but the tank is usually 45L. More info: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...C5R-DC5S/page3

regarding your choice with a dc5r or ep3r, that has been covered many times so you can search that.
    Last edited by infurNOS; 02-06-2013 at 06:17 PM.
    EG

Honestly, if you have your heart set on that LanEvo... Stay with your current DD and continue saving till you can get it... I'm not saying the Type-Rs [DC5R/EP3R] aren't a great drive and a great experience however you'll be sinking money into them in no time which you could be using to fund for a LanEvo instead. The Civic-R or Integra-R can come after you've had your fun in the LanEvo
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadAngel View Post
    Honestly, if you have your heart set on that LanEvo... Stay with your current DD and continue saving till you can get it...

but every mother and her daughter has a LanEvo :O

not a tight car cos not type r
    KEEP IT VIET | KEEP IT JDM
    FaLL iN LoVe WheN YoU aRe ReAdY, NoT WhEN YoU ARe LOnEly

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    yeah never see a type R do you

lmaooooooo

I see both frequently enough...
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Honestly, if you have your heart set on that LanEvo... Stay with your current DD and continue saving till you can get it... I'm not saying the Type-Rs [DC5R/EP3R] aren't a great drive and a great experience however you'll be sinking money into them in no time which you could be using to fund for a LanEvo instead. The Civic-R or Integra-R can come after you've had your fun in the LanEvo
    i will be on my full license allowing me to buy one in a year and half or so but like i said i am a uni student and dont want to blow all my money on the car, esp since its my dream car and want to keep it as long as it lasts i would like to be generous with it, so thats out of the question till i get a full time job after uni which is a couple years.

besides, i have owned a charade for a year now and upgrading to a type r will be like a ferrari to me LOL.

In a nut shell:

reliability - same as anyother car as long as they are maintained right, but Hondas have are a bit more leaniant with parts less prone to failure due to high quality engineering
    service intervals - every 10k km at least by a reputabile mechanic (usually a couple hundred of dollars no more unless things break), most owners do a simple oil and filter change at 5k km themselves. Most major services are at 100 k km intervals, i dont have a service book so cant tell you what exactly needs to be done.
    fuel economy - depends how you drive, expect 400-500km, bit less if hammering it. Use premium, price dependant on the day of the week, but the tank is usually 45L. More info: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...C5R-DC5S/page3

regarding your choice with a dc5r or ep3r, that has been covered many times so you can search that.
    a service every 10k km that cost a couple hundred ?? what is it that should be serviced? i thought only oil and oil filter get changed at 5-10k km intervals and major services were like what you said. what about the gearbox oil and lsd , every when do they get serviced ?

that thread doesnt say ivicing will cost more ?
    f it is dificult obtaining parts, and if ser
    thank you

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    a service every 10k km that cost a couple hundred ?? what is it that should be serviced? i thought only oil and oil filter get changed at 5-10k km intervals and major services were like what you said. what about the gearbox oil and lsd , every when do they get serviced ?

that thread doesnt say ivicing will cost more ?
    f it is dificult obtaining parts, and if ser
    thank you
    there are plenty of rubber seals in your engine that deteriorates overtime due to heat and oil.
    these needs to be replaced. clutch wear out, bushes crack, seals blow, tires go bald

the world aint all sunshine and rainbow weetec on weetec off

S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Quote Originally Posted by mocchi View Post
    there are plenty of rubber seals in your engine that deteriorates overtime due to heat and oil.
    these needs to be replaced. clutch wear out, bushes crack, seals blow, tires go bald

the world aint all sunshine and rainbow weetec on weetec off

thats understandable, normal service items, expensive to have done ? parts ? i have mechanics who own an ep3 they know their hondas and they are mates, but really its the cost of parts im worried about really

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    thats understandable, normal service items, expensive to have done ? parts ? i have mechanics who own an ep3 they know their hondas and they are mates, but really its the cost of parts im worried about really
    example:

input shaft bearing.
    bearing cost $45, gearbox fluid $45, labour $600+
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre