Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

timing chain replacement

hi .. I have a 1983 accord ,4cly carby. im led to believe this is a (el accord).. can anyone tell me if I can relace the timing belt without removing the engine

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    I don't see any reason why you would remove the engine to replace a timing belt in any Honda.

Usually it's a matter of positioning the engine at TDC, removing the crank pulley, then the timing cover, loosening the tensioner pulley and pulling off the old belt, then install the new one and tighten it up.
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    they are not hard to do,

as above, support the sump with a jack and block of wood, from memory on the 83 Accord you may have to remove the AC compressor (with out letting the gas out) to get to the belt.

thankyou very much guys....; ecu-man I believe you helped me last time with my fuel pump thankx
    Now yes the a/c was in the way but it was empty so I removed it.im upto the crank pulley removal,. I have located the hole in the inner fender for access.. now my problem is the crank turning when I try to undo it,, this concerns me as the cam isn't moving,

Is there a trick to this or maybe ill have to try and get an impact driver...

Car:
    twin GX160's
    If the cam is not moving when you turn the crank then the timing belt has snapped
    Last edited by ECU-MAN; 04-06-2013 at 05:56 PM.

no its not snapped but it has 10% of its teeth sheared off so it must have slipped. when I had the top belt cover off I could see it wasn't turning the cam while I hand cranked it.. and now with it all apart except the crank pully I can see its definitely stuffed.. it all looks fairly straight forward(except this pulley bolt) so ill just chuck a new belt on and hope.. I tried to check for valve damage but the belt wont turn the cam that's why im gonna fit a belt and hope... mind you I was doin below 5km for 100metres and cranked it with the key up to 10 times(looking for spark and rotor spin) so im hopeing the valves are ok...... what actually happened was ;after dropping back to low gear to get up my steep street I pulled in my driveway ,downhill, then reached for the key to turn off the car and realised it was already stalled... so that was lucky..

The question is : can i stop the crank spinning to undo the bolt?????.
    im not keen to jam the flywheel. i have heard of putting a breaker bar and socket on it then cranking the engine but i think Honda spins anticlockwise,(ill check this today). sounds dodgy anyway. I also see the later model has a crank holding tool but not my model.
    thankyou so much in advance

Car:
    twin GX160's
    is the car auto or manual

its an auto...I wish it was manual then I wouldn't have the prob.. ill probably get a mechanic to come to my house with a high power impact drill.. or hire one.... first ill try wrapping a leather belt around the pulley but I don't see that working

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Need a crankeshaft pulley holder?
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

thanks jasemas.... from the reseach ive done it looks like they changed the pulley in 1991.. to accommodate a pully holding tool... ill look deeper and see what I can find...... Or are you thinking of some universal tool that holds any pulley? the pulley has 4 holes in it where it looks like a tool would fit ... thankyou all so much for your help

Car:
    twin GX160's
    the holes in the pulley are for the special tool, as you mentioned they changed with the introduction of the ED Civic.

thankyou ecu-man. .now I gotta track down the tool or a mechanic who has it..... it looks like the key for a large grinder would come close to fitting..