Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by PHO View Post
    madeinception
    lmaoo
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    ABA-EP3, LA-EP3
    Quote Originally Posted by DakDak View Post
    I know the Km's on my car are legit as the cluster was never removed. I could tell this by how stupidly torqued everything still was after 14 years.
    Cluster does not need to be removed to be tampered with.

It can be achieved electronically through connecting with one of those expensive OBDII diagnostic tools. (Ones which professional mechanic uses, not the el'cheap ELM327 scanner).

Hence almost completely untraceable with a single scratch or physical evidence with the cluster.
    Last edited by Poeter; 12-06-2013 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poeter View Post
    Cluster does not need to be removed to be tampered with.

It can be achieved electronically through connecting with one of those expensive OBDII diagnostic tools. (Ones which professional mechanic uses, not the el'cheap ELM327 scanner).

Hence almost completely untraceable with a single scratch or physical evidence with the cluster.

Can you provide some support to your argument ? Im sick of myths like this floating around with no real basis of information.

Generally an electronic dash unit can only be "wound" forward , and only within the first X amount of ks covered - thats with "expensive" OBD2 tools.

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    At HSV we had an obd controller which they connect after the cars completed and roadtested to reset the kms to 0..

they get driven quite a bit to and from storage and around the plant prior to completion

Quote Originally Posted by EKVTIR-T View Post
    At HSV we had an obd controller which they connect after the cars completed and roadtested to reset the kms to 0..

they get driven quite a bit to and from storage and around the plant prior to completion
    what about Honda , namely the EP3R ?

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    I would assume every manufacturer has that capability

plus you have those techno savvy people who would find exploits which dodgy people take advantage of

Member Array
    Car:
    ABA-EP3, LA-EP3
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    Can you provide some support to your argument ? Im sick of myths like this floating around with no real basis of information.

Generally an electronic dash unit can only be "wound" forward , and only within the first X amount of ks covered - thats with "expensive" OBD2 tools.
    Feel welcome to remove my post if you're sick of the myth.

Well there's plenty of info if you try to google this information. There are several videos of this procedure posted on youtube.

My mechanic told me they can do this with their OBDII tools provided they have what they needed to achieve the task. My mechanic didn't want to expand too much detail to me because it was like taboo topic or something for the obvious reasons. However, there are legitimate reasons for mechanic to be able to do this. For instance, replacing a cluster because it was legitimately replaced as a defective component of the car. So mileage correction tools would be handy to keep the original mileage on the replacement cluster.

Here's one video for food for thought. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0qjwWzs23s

This may not be a honda but I would like to highlight that in my opinion that this may not be that farfetched to occur on any other car manufacturer.

Anything that's electronic can be hacked provided one can find an exploit. As any security expert would say, no system is ever secure.

Now if you want to further argue that these information I post remain base less. Fair enough, you choose to believe they're false, your opinion. Again feel free to remove/edit my post as you see fit.
    Last edited by Poeter; 13-06-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Feel welcome to remove my post if you're sick of the myth.

Well there's plenty of info if you try to google this information. There are several videos of this procedure posted on youtube.

My mechanic told me they can do this with their OBDII tools provided they have what they needed to achieve the task. My mechanic didn't want to expand too much detail to me because it was like taboo topic or something for the obvious reasons. However, there are legitimate reasons for mechanic to be able to do this. For instance, replacing a cluster because it was legitimately replaced as a defective component of the car. So mileage correction tools would be handy to keep the original mileage on the replacement cluster.

Here's one video for food for thought. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0qjwWzs23s

This may not be a honda but I would like to highlight that in my opinion that this may not be that farfetched to occur on any other car manufacturer.

Anything that's electronic can be hacked provided one can find an exploit. As any security expert would say, no system is ever secure.

Now if you want to further argue that these information I post remain base less. Fair enough, you choose to believe they're false, your opinion. Again feel free to remove/edit my post as you see fit.
    good info poeter
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    Since it seems some are being asked for more evidence - i'd be interested in seeing the evidence to support the above statement.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    i was looking to buy that ep3 before i bought my car, close call :/

Member Array
    Car:
    ABA-EP3, LA-EP3
    Quote Originally Posted by dagher23q View Post
    i was looking to buy that ep3 before i bought my car, close call :/
    Did you get to test drive the car? How did it feel over your current one which you bought?

Did you get to test drive the car? How did it feel over your current one which you bought?
    im going to test drive it tomorrow. will add to the discussion tomorrow.
    edit.. im testing the one at xtreme motor sports
    Last edited by flop101; 13-06-2013 at 04:50 PM.