Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Member Array
    Car:
    09 VTIS, Lotus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveho1 View Post
    genuine honda parts fix dat carrolla fella
    Haha. Just a pair of wheel bearings ( and a few other bits, new discs, pads ) thank Budha. But, mechanic said previous owners mechanic put in very nasty front brake pads, which lead to overheating of the front discs and bearings, causing them to fail early. So whatever parts you use, use the best quality !!!!!!

Member Array
    Car:
    GE;Civ86,Civ96,
    Hi All. Haven't posted here for a long2 while.

Re spare parts and oil filter costs,
    when holidaying in Thailand I bought 10 genuine filters for $5.50 each and a drive shaft outer joint ('96 EK Civic) for $30 (not China made).
    My last holiday in Bali, I bought another 10 Honda genuine oil filters at $6 each.
    I've also bought Daikin/Greddy clutches and bearings at half price.

Just have to be cautious that you're getting the genuine stuff !
    Alot of bad/poor quality parts suppliers/manufacturers out there and difficult to return once money has changed hands.
    I look after the family fleet of 3 Civics, GE Vibe-S and a 206 GTi (a no no car for a novice).
    My family gets a good laugh out of it when I go spare parts hunting while on holiday.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    i personally dont think its worthwhile going genuine parts for filters but if you get em at a good price why not, id take ryco any plus they are under $8 of a local shelf.

why do you think a 206 gti is a no no car for novices? i think its a no no car generally as they tend to be alot of trouble..

Quote Originally Posted by jazcivic View Post
    Hi All. Haven't posted here for a long2 while.

Re spare parts and oil filter costs,
    when holidaying in Thailand I bought 10 genuine filters for $5.50 each and a drive shaft outer joint ('96 EK Civic) for $30 (not China made).
    My last holiday in Bali, I bought another 10 Honda genuine oil filters at $6 each
    My family gets a good laugh out of it when I go spare parts hunting while on holiday.
    are you sure these are genuine filters? i have seen factories pumping out fake filters complete with the manufacturer's packaging.

Member Array
    Car:
    GE;Civ86,Civ96,
    Quote Originally Posted by sensei_ View Post
    are you sure these are genuine filters? i have seen factories pumping out fake filters complete with the manufacturer's packaging.
    You're right that there are many imitation filters with manufacturer's packaging.
    So far, I've been lucky. I've used 8 out of the 10 from Thailand and no problems
    has surfaced, except our 2005 GD3 was written off last February.
    Now our 2012 GE will carry on sharing the remainder of the filters with
    the other 3 Civics.

Member Array
    Car:
    GE;Civ86,Civ96,
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveho1 View Post
    i personally dont think its worthwhile going genuine parts for filters but if you get em at a good price why not, id take ryco any plus they are under $8 of a local shelf.

why do you think a 206 gti is a no no car for novices? i think its a no no car generally as they tend to be alot of trouble..
    The 206 GTi (2001 model) can be alot of trouble for novices wrt maintenance and trouble shooting.
    I spent about $1000 on spare parts and alot of my time in sorting out suspension, steering and all engine mounts repairs.
    It doesn't dive to the left under brakes ! The engine doesn't rattle2 jiggle2 anymore.
    The jarring thud on take off has disappeared.
    While I was at it, I replaced the rear disk and pads.

The driver's door rattles. The boot rattles.
    The previous owner said the Dealer had tried to fix it but to no avail.
    Really, it's just patience and adjustment to get it right !
    All the above is now sorted.
    The engine, suspension, steering feels tight and good to drive now.
    I haven't had time to tune and tweak it like CAI etc..

The gear linkage is my next job on my 'to do' list.
    Then next is the bearing noise on the gear box. The engine's done only 86,000 km !
    They are troublesome compared to the Hondas.

Do you want to buy a car Dave ? LOL

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    lol nope i do Peugeot parts daily mate, i was actually helping a customer diagnose a fly by wire (very sluggish response) issue but with no CEL, this was a common issue on the 206 gti one fix was a cable tie around the connections on the throttle body as it shakes loose, another was a fuel quality issue but the cleaner is extremely expensive.. and very time consuming to follow the procedure, the other fix is either a new throttle body or a new accelerator pedal... as you can imagine both are super cheap lol but when they work properly they are fun cars haha