Older engine into a newer shell

Hey guys i know its been covered on ozhonda, but i had to make sure
    I have an older b16a2 than the car chassis, Its older than a year. Is there any way for me to register the car legally?

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude ATTS
    Quote Originally Posted by noobcake View Post
    Hey guys i know its been covered on ozhonda, but i had to make sure
    I have an older b16a2 than the car chassis, Its older than a year. Is there any way for me to register the car legally?
    different states have different rules. If you want a better answer u will need to give more detail.

what year car did it come from
    what car is it going into
    what state are you in

•CRX• represent Array
    Car:
    CRX+CBR250RR
    Seeing as your WTB threads OP is showing NSW I can only believe that your looking at the legalities in NSW.
    If you are your gonna get mixed bunch of responses.

You can not install an engine to your vehicle from an older model
    or
    Yes you can as long as it complies with emissions.

All the relevant tests can be done thru RTA.
    And here is an extract from the following document

Emission standards for replacement engines

1972 and later model vehicles with substitute engines must meet the intent of the later of the Australian Design

Rules applicable to either:

a) The original vehicle; or

b) The substitute engine.

To ensure continued compliance with emission standards, any replacement engine should come from a vehicle which

is subject to the same or more stringent emission control requirements. An alternative is for an earlier engine to be

upgraded during reconditioning to more recent engine specifications. All anti-pollution devices should be fitted and

functional.

Vehicles manufactured prior to noise and/or exhaust emissions related ADRs must meet certain minimum noise

and emission requirements if the engine modification is to such an extent as to require certification by an engineering

signatory. Engineering signatories will be able to give you more information about these requirements.

Last edited by Snoop_gee; 13-06-2013 at 07:45 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    this is the important part in that quote.

To ensure continued compliance with emission standards, any replacement engine should come from a vehicle which

is subject to the same or more stringent emission control requirements. An alternative is for an earlier engine to be

upgraded during reconditioning to more recent engine specifications. All anti-pollution devices should be fitted and

functional.
    If its a year older, but all emissions devices are the same, then you dont have a problem.

Issues start coming up when you wanna do something like install an OBD0 b16 from a 1989 EF9 into am OBD2 1999 EK4
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    Ek coupe
    Yes you can do it. I have a 93 b18c2 in my 96 ej8 all registered to the car in vic.

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowlife View Post
    Yes you can do it. I have a 93 b18c2 in my 96 ej8 all registered to the car in vic.
    Has this car been engineered? As having it registered to the car (which is fairly simple to do) and having it engineered and legal are different things.

By Vicroads standards you CANNOT fit an engine that is older than the vehicle it is to be fitted in. Yes we can convert electronics from OBD1 ---> OBD2, but if you were to get emissions tested you will find that they will more than likely fail you and when they realise that the engine is from an early Integra and see that it is fitted to a later model Civic, they will look into said emissions regs for the particular years and find they were different
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8