Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    B16A2 EG Gli

K20 comfortable for a daily driver?

Hey guys I'm asking for a friend and he was wondering if a K20 would be okay for a daily driver? He's considering swapping it into his 95 eg vti and wanted to hear peoples opinions with a K20 in their eg hatches or people who've had experienced a K-swapped eg.

I've heard that the idle is pretty rough and the engine noise is real loud, is this true? If the K20 would make his eg an uncomfortable daily driver then he's planning on just going with the typical B18C7 swap. He's planning on dropping the engine in stock and tracking it a couple times throughout the year and when it's due for a rebuild he's planning on rebuilding it with new goodies. Also he's planning on staying all motor if that helps.

It'd be great to get your experiences and opinions.

Thanks

totes

be jus like having a k20ForBrekkie

nomsayin m8

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    look, a k20a is a damn refined, and modern engine.

Do you really think that, even in a "performance" model people are going to put up with shitty idle, loud engine noise, stupid fuel economy etc etc?

No theyre not.

If you take a stock motor, with a stock ecu, run a stock intake with an airbox, a fairly normal sized exhaust, and engine mounts that arent overly stiff, its going to be quieter, and more comfortable than the factory d series, while making a heap more power, and probably getting way better fuel economy as well.

Now, when people start to run stiffer mounts, put a big exhaust on it, an intake, cams, tune the ecu etc, of course its going to get a bit rougher, and a bit louder. But it doesnt matter what engine you do it to, thats whats gonna happen.

So for a daily driver, and especially seeing as how he is keeping it pretty stock, i wouldnt be overly worried.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    Dc2r & EGK20a
    EG Kswap for daily is awesome fun, it depends on what exhaust system setup you run which it will make it sound loud or just right. I love driving mine! Just be sensible!

Member Array
    Car:
    BREEZE
    To give you a rough idea, here's what my K24a DC2 is like:

This car is my daily, and to be honest, its fine. Im running a 3" exhaust setup, and yes it is loud when your stomping on it. But cruising along in 6th it's comfy as. Im using 62a Hasports and a K20 oil pump, and the vibrations really arnt that bad. Also, I dont have an IACV and my idle is fine, not rough at all.

With a full interior, its a great daily drive, Start stripping interior, plastics, carpet, rear seats etc, and it's a different story.
    part time potato

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    As Vvvvvvvvvvtec (name?) said, it's fine unless you don't run; 100A mounts, barely muffled exhaust, no sound deadening, no interior, braces that rattle, lack of well braced interior parts. I had my DC2 K24 daily for a while, but I got old of no air con, no PS, rattled, stiff back from the seat (other problems at the time), rattles, loud, etc...

Keep it as stock as you can (interior/suspension/NVH) wise and you will be fine!

LOL @ ~55s of that video it sounds like your bottom end went bang .

Member Array
    Car:
    ED/EG5/EP3/JAZZ
    I'm looking at either EG5 or ED K24 as a daily myself...

Can you run the stock K24 ECU?

I hate all those little things that are not quite right once running aftermarket ECU's,
    Bugs the hell out of me!

Plus Honda's stock tunes are safe as there can possibly be IMO
    161.4KW ATW Tuned By TODA
    EG5 JDM B16A SiR-II TURBO

13.28@106.6mph 2.117 60ft On RE001

Member Array
    Car:
    BREEZE
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukezen27 View Post
    I'm looking at either EG5 or ED K24 as a daily myself...

Can you run the stock K24 ECU?

I hate all those little things that are not quite right once running aftermarket ECU's,
    Bugs the hell out of me!

Plus Honda's stock tunes are safe as there can possibly be IMO
    No, cannot run stock k24 ecu.

It's really not that bad at all.
    part time potato

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    There is nothing wrong with a KPro... and you will rage how crap the OEM K24 baseline tune is anyway. (not Hondata's one, verdict from driving a CL9)

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    Nothing wrong having a daily K20 in a EG.

For daily keep the exhaust 2.5' or 60mm with a nice baffled muffler (X-force twin loop or alike). If you retaining a/c, install some good slim fans.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED/EG5/EP3/JAZZ
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboyz39 View Post
    Nothing wrong having a daily K20 in a EG.

For daily keep the exhaust 2.5' or 60mm with a nice baffled muffler (X-force twin loop or alike). If you retaining a/c, install some good slim fans.
    Much needed to keep A/C on Kswap EG?
    161.4KW ATW Tuned By TODA
    EG5 JDM B16A SiR-II TURBO

13.28@106.6mph 2.117 60ft On RE001

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    Abit of fiddling around with hoses and pipes (a/c place will make new hoese/hardlines). Most tricky bit is mounting the a/c condensor since the original mounts can't be used.