Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Vti-r

Get your car running at peak performance

Hi guys was wandering if anyone has tips and hints for cleaning/servicing to get your cars running at peak performance??

I.e cleaning air filters
    Carbon build up from throttle body
    engine sludge
    etc. etc.

- Regular oil and oil filter changes
    - Regular spark plug changes
    - Use good quality fuel
    - I use injector cleaner every now and then
    - Carbon build up can be removed with throttle body cleaner. (take it off the engine first :P)
    - There is a K&N filter cleaning kit you can buy but not sure if works on other brand filters.
    - Get it tuned every couple of years.
    Paul // 05 Euro Luxury // Perth // My other car's an S15

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Vti-r
    - IACV
    - Clean Rotors
    - Tyre Pressure

keep em rolling

Quote Originally Posted by Jiblet View Post
    - Regular oil and oil filter changes
    - Regular spark plug changes
    - Use good quality fuel
    - I use injector cleaner every now and then
    - Carbon build up can be removed with throttle body cleaner. (take it off the engine first :P)
    - There is a K&N filter cleaning kit you can buy but not sure if works on other brand filters.
    - Get it tuned every couple of years.
    what do you mean get it tuned?
    KEEP IT VIET | KEEP IT JDM
    FaLL iN LoVe WheN YoU aRe ReAdY, NoT WhEN YoU ARe LOnEly

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, S15
    Quote Originally Posted by charliebrown View Post
    what do you mean get it tuned?
    I think he means like, checking/adjusting the timing ?

Or if aftermarket computer a tune lol
    snapping 2nd..

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    I use engine flush every now and then as well, but thats cos I'm trying out different brand oils and i change the oil + filter x2.

I would say, treat it nicely on the road aka dont vtec every day or every 2nd corner and just follow the manufactures recommendation aka log book. Fix any problems as soon as you notice it. Either then that honda motors are pretty much bullet proof.

My old em1 i revved to 9k multiple times a day for 2 years straight and the car is still running. But the new em1 gets the baby treatment.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S15
    If regular, thorough, 5000km servicing isn't sufficient enough to be able to redline it everyday, anytime you want, as much as you please.

Then motor is not poof of bullets friend.
    Last edited by DakDak; 15-06-2013 at 09:34 PM.

Injector Cleaner I think ok but make sure you don't use other cleaners or flushes...
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Mate i got a living example. Sure the tappets went, but nothing a simple readjusting didnt fix.

- Occassionally use a lifter-free additive to ensure the lifters are cleaned and working at full potential.
    - change your gearbox oil more regularly than in the service manual. I do mine every 20-30,000km.
    - If the engine is modified, it is a good idea to install an oil-air separating catch can. Its basically tells you if you are getting excess blow by and can show a problem with the engine before you break it.

I wouldn't use an engine flush on a higher km engine. Sometimes it loosens some grime/crap and actually creates more problems.

And by tune I mean go to a workshop and get it put on the dyno to check timing and Air:fuel ratios etc (to prevent knocking). Can be good for fuel economy as well as keeping your engine running ok. They will also tell you if there is anything out of the ordinary with the engine.
    Last edited by Jiblet; 16-06-2013 at 08:30 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiblet View Post
    - Occassionally use a lifter-free additive to ensure the lifters are cleaned and working at full potential.
    - change your gearbox oil more regularly than in the service manual. I do mine every 20-30,000km.
    - If the engine is modified, it is a good idea to install an oil-air separating catch can. Its basically tells you if you are getting excess blow by and can show a problem with the engine before you break it.

I wouldn't use an engine flush on a higher km engine. Sometimes it loosens some grime/crap and actually creates more problems.

And by tune I mean go to a workshop and get it put on the dyno to check timing and Air:fuel ratios etc (to prevent knocking). Can be good for fuel economy as well as keeping your engine running ok. They will also tell you if there is anything out of the ordinary with the engine.

Dont use lifter free. Honda's dont have hydraulic lifters and the additive is simply an oil thinner, meaning that fresh 10w30 oil is actually now a 10w20.

If you have a good quality tune in the ECU you shouldnt need to keep putting it on the dyno. Doings things like replacing old sensors (coolant temp, oxygen, map etc) then resetting the ecu will net better gains then throwing away $650+ for a tune
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Argh my bad. My nissan has hydraulic lifters so I was kind of going off that.