Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R

Question EP3R - Oil Recommendation

Hey guys im thinking of servicing my own EP3R.

What are some top engine oil, transmission oil, coolant etc recommendations?

Would the EP3R be able to handle Redline MT-90 (75w90) for changing the mtf?
    EP3 TYPER

You're going to get some bias opinions [Waits for Royal Purple to be mentioned as the best **** since the invention of oil]

Does your car see any trackdays? If so somethings might be different...

Engine Oil - Been servicing my friend's EP3R with Elf Excellium 5W-40 =) He's been extremely happy with it. Been using Elf for all my cars since testing a few different oils on my cars and it's been the best for me. Both in stock and built engines.

Transmission Oil - IIRC it's using Redline but can't remember if its MT-90 [Most likely is]

Coolant - Honda OEM Coolant, best for most DD and light track work =)
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Mugen
    ELF
    HKS

Engine Oil: Castrol Edge 0w-30 fully synthetic
    Transmission Fluid: Honda MFT-3
    Coolant: Honda Long life+
    P/S Fluid: Honda power steering fluid

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    nulon full synthetic 10w40
    oem hunda mtf

cant go wrong m8
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3
    For engine oil you need to see if your EP can handle a 0w30 or 5w30 first. A lot of the other owners i know have trouble running that grade since the k20 will burn it out too fast. If this is the case, you have to stick with a 10w40 grade. I personally run penrite 10 tenths racing 5w30, but any company should be fine as long as you service it regularly.

Gearbox oil is a bit trickier. Honda MTF3 (75w80 can someone confirm this?) is good but i find that it doesn't last that long and i have to change every 10000-15000kms. I am currently running Castrol Syntrans 75w85 and it feels just as smooth if not better than OEM. Not sure how long it will last just yet though. I have also ran Motul Motyl Gear 75w90. That felt crap on cold starts and notchy when i try to shift into gear 2. Once it warms up it felt awesome though. I wouldn't recommend that for daily driving. I also heard this is the same for Royal Purple 75w90.

Coolant wise just dont mix the colours and you'll be alright. If you're planning to switch from the popular green to honda blue coolant, make sure you completely flush the system first.

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadAngel View Post
    You're going to get some bias opinions [Waits for Royal Purple to be mentioned as the best **** since the invention of oil]

Does your car see any trackdays? If so somethings might be different...

Engine Oil - Been servicing my friend's EP3R with Elf Excellium 5W-40 =) He's been extremely happy with it. Been using Elf for all my cars since testing a few different oils on my cars and it's been the best for me. Both in stock and built engines.

Transmission Oil - IIRC it's using Redline but can't remember if its MT-90 [Most likely is]

Coolant - Honda OEM Coolant, best for most DD and light track work =)
    Good point you made there. I forgot to mention, my cars the daily drive/cruise type but I am looking to track my car. Im not too SURE if i should be changing oils to the tough products for daily use before tracking.
    Also thanks for the recommendation.
    EP3 TYPER

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R
    Quote Originally Posted by stienerv2 View Post
    For engine oil you need to see if your EP can handle a 0w30 or 5w30 first. A lot of the other owners i know have trouble running that grade since the k20 will burn it out too fast. If this is the case, you have to stick with a 10w40 grade. I personally run penrite 10 tenths racing 5w30, but any company should be fine as long as you service it regularly.

Gearbox oil is a bit trickier. Honda MTF3 (75w80 can someone confirm this?) is good but i find that it doesn't last that long and i have to change every 10000-15000kms. I am currently running Castrol Syntrans 75w85 and it feels just as smooth if not better than OEM. Not sure how long it will last just yet though. I have also ran Motul Motyl Gear 75w90. That felt crap on cold starts and notchy when i try to shift into gear 2. Once it warms up it felt awesome though. I wouldn't recommend that for daily driving. I also heard this is the same for Royal Purple 75w90.

Coolant wise just dont mix the colours and you'll be alright. If you're planning to switch from the popular green to honda blue coolant, make sure you completely flush the system first.
    Im not sure what gearbox oil im running atm as I got the mechanic to service it for me but I will have to find out. At the moment, I also get that crappy gear shifting on cold starts and gear 2 plays up and starts to grind. Ive been recommended to change to Redline MT-90 (75w90) to fix that grinding problem but according to your opinion, im guessing it wont make a difference.

Im looking for oil types thats more for daily driving and for times where i feel like slamming it
    EP3 TYPER

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3
    Honda MTF3 will make it feel a lot better for cold starts and it will make it easier to shift into 2nd. Give that a go first if you like, cos it is cheaper that syntrans.

OEM = $32 from memory and Syntrans was $62. Both prices are for 2x 1 lL bottles

From what i have read. the green and blue are ethylene glycol based where as orange/red is the DEX-COOL crap

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R
    Honda MTF3 will make it feel a lot better for cold starts and it will make it easier to shift into 2nd. Give that a go first if you like, cos it is cheaper that syntrans.

OEM = $32 from memory and Syntrans was $62. Both prices are for 2x 1 lL bottles
    I think most gearoil with 75w90 give most EP3's that bad shifting on cold starts but what I dont understand is that they have high viscosity and yet gives the car a hard time...

Ill surely give the Honda MTF3 a go if its a lot better for daily driving. But im also gonna test out the Redline MT-90 (75w90) as I've been recommended to, see how it goes.

Would I be able to purchase Honda MTF3 from a honda dealership?
    EP3 TYPER

Quote Originally Posted by SHRUKA View Post
    I think most gearoil with 75w90 give most EP3's that bad shifting on cold starts but what I dont understand is that they have high viscosity and yet gives the car a hard time...

Ill surely give the Honda MTF3 a go if its a lot better for daily driving. But im also gonna test out the Redline MT-90 (75w90) as I've been recommended to, see how it goes.

Would I be able to purchase Honda MTF3 from a honda dealership?
    Dealership should have it =)

Higher Viscosity = Thicker [In Layman terms]

So because its 'thicker' it won't be so prone to breaking down [In the cause of engine oil in general it means it won't burn up so quickly or leak] however it places additional stress due to the mechanical components having additional resistance to produce movement.

Remember though that in this day and age there are numerous grades and additives so the above is a very basic generalisation that won't hold in many instances due to said additions.
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter