Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Member Array
    Car:
    EP3
    Quote Originally Posted by SHRUKA View Post
    I think most gearoil with 75w90 give most EP3's that bad shifting on cold starts but what I dont understand is that they have high viscosity and yet gives the car a hard time...

Ill surely give the Honda MTF3 a go if its a lot better for daily driving. But im also gonna test out the Redline MT-90 (75w90) as I've been recommended to, see how it goes.

Would I be able to purchase Honda MTF3 from a honda dealership?
    Yeah let us know how the Redline feels when you get to change it

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    Engine oil: Penrite HPR5 or 10 Tenths Racing 10W40
    Gearbox oil: Penrite Pro Gear 75W85
    Coolant: Penrite 4 year (green)
    Brake fluid: Penrite super DOT4 or Racing BF

I use this combination in alot of K series cars and have not had one problem (both street and track cars). Customers have come back saying they are burning less oil and have seen better shift quailty etc so well worth looking into. Also the prices are very competitive for such high quality products
    Last edited by stndrd; 17-06-2013 at 01:46 PM.
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    unbiased

Member Array
    Car:
    ABA-EP3, LA-EP3
    Quote Originally Posted by stienerv2 View Post
    Gearbox oil is a bit trickier. Honda MTF3 (75w80 can someone confirm this?) is good but i find that it doesn't last that long and i have to change every 10000-15000kms. I am currently running Castrol Syntrans 75w85 and it feels just as smooth if not better than OEM. Not sure how long it will last just yet though. I have also ran Motul Motyl Gear 75w90. That felt crap on cold starts and notchy when i try to shift into gear 2. Once it warms up it felt awesome though. I wouldn't recommend that for daily driving. I also heard this is the same for Royal Purple 75w90.
    Victor are you referring to MTF06 or MTF3?

As far as i know, Honda Australia only supplies MTF06. MTF3 is only available from UK and Japan.

MTF06 - 08261MTFL00
    MTF3 - 0826799902HE

From what I've learnt, MTF3 is a newer gear oil than MTF06. I have emailed Honda Australia why they haven't brought this out here. They've responded to me that they haven't tested the oil under the aussie conditions to be approved.

I've personally used both. MTF3 is somewhat smoother. However, due to shipping costs, it's actually quite dear to bring it in ourselves.

I can confirm MTF3 is not equal to MTF06 because they differ in color and smell. I find MTF06 has a very strong repugnant smell similar to that of cat pee.

To read more past discussions on MTF3 - See here
    Last edited by Poeter; 17-06-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Red Line MT-90 is not the correct weight for your gearbox and I'd strongly recommend against it. I've run Red Line MT-85 which is a 75W-85 weight in my DC5R gearbox before and its pretty horrible when cold because its too thick. Once it gets up to operating temperature, it feels just fine but being Winter now, starting up is horrible. I would not recommend a 75W-XX for any street driven car.

Red Line MTL is the correct weighting that you want to aim for. Its a 70W-80 which is the same weight as OEM Honda MTF3/06. It gives the same shift feel and is fully synthetic, so it holds up to heat a lot better which is important in a gearbox that doesn't hold much fluid (k-series). Its about the same price as OEM Honda MTF which is around $20/litre.

Engine oil wise, its hard to look past Red Line which has been well documented in the Accord Euro threads: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ed+line+amazon.
    Last edited by mugsee; 17-06-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3
    Quote Originally Posted by Poeter View Post
    Victor are you referring to MTF06 or MTF3?
    Corrrection: MTF06 lol

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R
    Quote Originally Posted by stndrd View Post
    Engine oil: Penrite HPR5 or 10 Tenths Racing 10W40
    Gearbox oil: Penrite Pro Gear 75W85
    Coolant: Penrite 4 year (green)
    Brake fluid: Penrite super DOT4 or Racing BF

I use this combination in alot of K series cars and have not had one problem (both street and track cars). Customers have come back saying they are burning less oil and have seen better shift quailty etc so well worth looking into. Also the prices are very competitive for such high quality products
    Sounds convincing. Ill take that into consideration. Where abouts could I purchase those products? Thanks stndrd!
    Last edited by SHRUKA; 17-06-2013 at 06:45 PM.
    EP3 TYPER

Penrite engine oil available at local auto spares retailer [Supercheap, Autobarn, Repco] however the Gear oil, Coolant and Brake Fluid I'm unsure...
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    All Penrite fluids are available from your local Repco branch.

OP, if you are located in Melb, let me know as I sell the complete Penrite range
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8