Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    D16 oil recomendation? What ever is left after makn bacon and eggs.

Sounds like you don't put your engine through a lot of repeated stress (long durations of high RPM), so fancy oils won't do you any good besides rip a hole in your wallet like some of the others have suggested.

The penrite you purchased sounds decent and is of the appropriate price bracket.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by stndrd View Post
    The magnatec you buy off the shelf is not the same blend as what your mechanic gets. It is a watered down version and i wouldnt waste your time.

The Penrite HPR range is definately worth the money (HPR5 is $58/5L & HPR10 is $53/5L from Repco) and will keep your engine lasting a hell of a lot longer than magnatec ever will
    but magnatec is only $40ish per bottle. do you think it'll breakdown in 5000k's?
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    but magnatec is only $40ish per bottle. do you think it'll breakdown in 5000k's?
    If the OP is doing alot of short trips and not getting up to operating temperaure, then yes I believe it will as fuel is the biggest contaminant of oil. Running around while the engine is cold means you will be running rich and having a slight bore wash effect, will contaminate very quickly.

Also, if the engine is burning oil, you will find that the magnatec will burn off quicker than the Penrite oils
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Some people seriously. They wanna save $10-15 every six months so they put crap oil in their car...

Just use a decent oil. Save yourself the problems later

Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    who pays $40 for magnatec? it's like $25-30 during supercheap sales which is clockwerk.

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    $25 magnatec > *

S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    most eg done over 150k now so wont do much using synth

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    in all seriousness now Castrol and most other brands will be recommending 15w40 or a 20w50 you also have to remember that these engines where made when use of fully synthetic and semi synthetic oil wasn't as common place as it is now.
    realisticly I wouldn't go lower then a 10w30 but a 15w40 will more likely be appropriate.

others can say and use what they want but your really not gaining anything from the use of synthetic light oil in these older engines, as they weren't designed to use them 15-20 years ago and get no benefit from it now.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    i would of just used that semi synth, like a the valvoline dx (or something)
    10w 30.

doesnt matter what u use, but an old engine probably doesn need pure synthetic.
    the most important thing is regular changes

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    I think 10W-30 is a bit thin for an engine that old.. I guess use whatever doesn't burn fast.
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Member Array
    Car:
    Hondata
    10-40w semi should be good enough. no need hardcore oil if it isnt dohc vtec