Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dodgy Wreckers!

Dodgy Wreckers!

I had a search on gumtree for DC5R parts, I saw this DC5R which looks very familiar from the auctions in which I actually attended the auction. From my memory it was listed as a write off with 190xxx Kms on the car. I called up the wrecker and specific asked about the DC5R, firstly i asked how much were the recaro's, they said 990 fair enough then i asked about the motor of the car, i then proceeded to ask how many km's were on the motor he said 94xxx, I'm not here to cause trouble but what's your say on it?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Unless you know 100% that its the same you shouldnt say anything

Member Array
    Car:
    Hondata
    any proof that dc5r motor for that age doing 94,xxxkm? and that pretty low km for write off... my POV.
    never trust any wreckers.. they'll do anything to sell craps to you

Member Array
    Car:
    CRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddenoob View Post
    any proof that dc5r motor for that age doing 94,xxxkm? and that pretty low km for write off... my POV.
    never trust any wreckers.. they'll do anything to sell craps to you
    How's it pretty low km for a wright off....if a car is deemed not worth repairing buy an insurance company it becomes a write off...the insurance company finds that its not financially feasible to do so.

It has nothing to do with km ...it has to do with structural damage and cost of repair...have a look on pickles or mayhem fowles ....there's a lot of cars with low kms that are being written off

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    dudes donno what they are talking about, you guys have to remember the wreckers never owned the car when it was fully functioning and chances are they never drove it at all, they bought it as a pile of parts stuck together, its an investment to them not a car. they arnt being dodgy generally they just don't know, but in the event of faulty parts its worth looking at there return policy first, as with any part.

Could have maybe just made a mistake when recalling the k's?

•CRX• represent Array
    Car:
    CRX+CBR250RR
    For some wreckers making money any which way they can will do.
    Whether is falsely advertising an engine real K's just to earn a few bucks do happen.

Op based on the fact your located in NSW.
    The fair trading on Auto Dismantlers can be found here
    If you want to stop these wreckers as u suspect them for their wrong doing. As long as you got enough evidence you can approach the wreckers or contact NSW Fair Trading.
    Its a very delicate situation really. Who knows the wreckers could get startled and drop the price on the engine heaps more and you could score a really crazy deal.
    Handle with care man.

If your genuinely interested in the engine to purchase and are concerned of the k's as long as your able to do compression test and physically inspect the engine for damage generally you should be okay.
    Back it up with a warranty from the wreckers on the engine itself helps safe guard if you overlooked and missed something.
    some offer 3- 6 months and or even 1-5000km. It really depends on how reputable the business is .

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    I agree with snoopygee in this case

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Face it, pretty much anybody selling any vehicle bullsh!ts to try and get a decent price.

"Immaculate condition, accident-free history, runs very well, no mechanical issues" and you rock up it's beat up, dirty, badly bogged from the last repairs, has shagged bushes everywhere, leaking oil from the HG etc etc.

Just need to do your inspections as well as you can. High mileage means nothing anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504
    High mileage means nothing anyway.
    I don't agree. Mileage is everything. It can dictate the image and overall condition of a car more than anything else.
    What the OP refers to is a serious issue....it's not just stretching the truth like "...has a dent or two ..." Or "...well taken care of." Both of these examples will be seen or not upon viewing which is frankly normal behaviour to get people's interest.

Altering the Kms is illegal and can greatly increase the profit. This is a serious accusation, and unless it can be 100% proved its unlikely to be found out. If unsure avoid it !

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    What I mean is that a car which had travelled 200,000 highway KM's and been properly serviced every 5,000 with good oils, filled with good premium petrol, never beaten when cold or driven in anger, will probably be in better knick than a 90,000KM engine that gets serviced once a year if the tax return allows it using KMart oil, the crappest independent station's 91 RON, and beaten senseless when its cold.

Not saying what the wrecker is accused of is acceptable but to be hypothetical if you'd rather have that 90,000KM engine go for it.

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    lol driven in anger
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre