Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R

Reasons for Burning Oil

Hi Guys,

Another question,

My em1 has been burning oil(fair bit of it)

I just serviced 2 weeks ago and filled motor oil up all the way to the 2nd hole in the dip stick. Today before i started her up before coming to work i checked the oil and its already burn't 1/4 of the dipstick away.

There is no leaks. I have inspected the sump. Theres no stains on my drive way. Last week i thought it couldve been the rocket cover seal, as i found a fair abit of oil in my spark plugs when i bought the car. Replaced that with oem seals and no oil is found in there anymore.
    Compression Test shows 195 191 195 191.

Theres no black/blue smoke coming from the exhaust. Is there anyother reason why my motor could be burning oil?

Im suspecting piston rings, is there a way i could test these without opening my block?

Regards,
    Amant

Member Array
    Car:
    eg5
    What type of oil are you using and how many kms on the motor so far?

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    As its cold seaon atm, I'm using 10w50 Motul 300. As its gets warmer ill change over to 20w60 Penrite Semi

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    2 weeks

but how many k's?
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Two Full Tanks - approx 1000km? Give and take 50km per a tank depanding on the right foot.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S15
    Did you do a wet comp test or was this dry?

I'd do a leak down test now.

Plus degrease the shit out of your engine. Have it clean then check again for leaks after driving. Hard to spot anything with all that gunk around.
    Last edited by DakDak; 23-06-2013 at 03:13 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    hmmm

so 250ml/1000k

doesn't seem too bad.

Try inspecting your PCV
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Whats wet comp test or dry?

If you mean the pedal to floor then yes and the engine was warm when I did the test.

These are the seals i got and replaced.
    http://www.jdmyard.com/index.php?rou...product_id=430

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    wet is when you put oil down the spark plug hole to seal the ring
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Then it was dry, but engine was warm i let it idle for 10 minutes before i did the test. So oil would've been present there? Not sure. I didnt drop any extra oil down the hole.

Member Array
    Car:
    k20 dc2
    Quote Originally Posted by amant02 View Post

I just serviced 2 weeks ago and filled motor oil up all the way to the 2nd hole in the dip stick. Today before i started her up before coming to work i checked the oil and its already burn't 1/4 of the dipstick away.
    no noticeable leaks. no burning of oil. is this the first time you have checked it after you serviced it?, i know it sounds stupid but could it be that you checked the oil on a uneven surface and your just getting the wrong measurements.

Sounds a bit suss. Are you sure you completely filled it up during the service?

I thought I was having a similar oil loss problem, but it turned out to be nothing. After servicing the car and filling the oil all the way up (well, thinking I did anyway), I noticed after a week or so the level was now down to maybe 3/4. I thought I had lost a bunch of oil in a short space of time. I filled it back up to full, and the level didn't move until the next service 6 months later.

What I think happened is a combination of:

-oil level measured with car on different slopes
    -bit of oil sticking around the engine rather than all going back down to the sump even when car is cold? Especially if you replaced the oil filter.
    - Brand new oil sometimes being hard to see on the dipstick, making the initial estimation of level hard.

Anyway might be worth topping it up and giving it another run before getting too worried