Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra Type R

DC2 Coilover Knocking?

When I adjusted my cusco comp-s coilovers in terms of height back then, I used the two collars as it did not have a lower mount collar. These coilovers do not have dampening adjustable as well.
    So for a while, i've been hearing a somewhat knocking noise from the front of my car.
    I have suspicion it is my coilovers but am not sure. It only happens when I drive at a really slow pace such as rolling up to a red light.
    My mechanic told me the coilovers are holding too much weight from the car, therefore creating the noise.

Can you guys give me any info on this?
    Thanks in advance

Yea I had the same prob before with coils that are not fully adjustable, I changed coils to a set of fully adjustables and are fine now because I can adjust height without touching the spring preload, get a new set of coils ( I got a set of tein flex if ur keen) and no problems wat so ever.

Quote Originally Posted by IcedCoffee View Post
    My mechanic told me the coilovers are holding too much weight from the car, therefore creating the noise.

Thanks in advance
    Can you explain what you mean? This comment doesn't really make sense.

Few things to check

-are the locking collars still tight?
    -check the bolts are tight at the fork/lca connection and where the damper body clamps into the top of the fork.
    -check the spring seat rubber or upper mounts for wear.

May not even be the coilovers making the noise, check under the car with someone else rocking/moving the suspension it may make it easier to find what is knocking.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra Type R
    Quote Originally Posted by rc_ View Post
    Can you explain what you mean? This comment doesn't really make sense.

Few things to check

-are the locking collars still tight?
    -check the bolts are tight at the fork/lca connection and where the damper body clamps into the top of the fork.
    -check the spring seat rubber or upper mounts for wear.

May not even be the coilovers making the noise, check under the car with someone else rocking/moving the suspension it may make it easier to find what is knocking.
    I will check it out tmrw, but as i put my weight on the car it will make this knocking noise. Thinking about it, the noise does sound like a loose bolt. Also when i push down on the car I can also hear a fluid sound, as if the oil within the coilover is being squeezed, is this anything to worry about?

See what you find out then we can help out more =)

As for the fluid sound, how old are the coilovers?

And what height have they been at?
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S15
    My money is on a loose spring.
    Choke dealer

But yeah, I think so too =)

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra Type R
    Okay so i just had a look at it.
    I am now pretty sure the noise is coming from the coilover.
    As i push up on the wheel rotor to compress the coilover, i will hear the noise as well as the oil squishing noise
    I checked all the bolts they seem fine.
    Age wise, i bought and put on the coils when they were around 6000kms and they've been on for around 14 months with many kms on them...(daily driven)
    In terms of height, there is around 2cms seperation from the guard to the 16" wheel
    Does this help anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by IcedCoffee View Post
    Okay so i just had a look at it.
    I am now pretty sure the noise is coming from the coilover.
    As i push up on the wheel rotor to compress the coilover, i will hear the noise as well as the oil squishing noise
    I checked all the bolts they seem fine.
    Age wise, i bought and put on the coils when they were around 6000kms and they've been on for around 14 months with many kms on them...(daily driven)
    In terms of height, there is around 2cms seperation from the guard to the 16" wheel
    Does this help anyone?
    If you definitely can't see the spring/bolts being loose while hearing the noise, you could have a failed damper. Take it out and remove the spring, try to compress the piston by hand (may need to put a bit of body weight into it) and see if it compresses and retracts smoothly. While out you'll be able to see if you have a leak more easily too.

Check that the ARB isn't loose and clunking against the control arm too.

Is the noise from both sides or only one?

^

This, going to have to remove all the coilovers one by one starting with the one you suspect mostly the noise coming from. I did this with one of my cars before, in the end it wasn't the dampers worn out but my top mount was KO'd. But in your case as rc suggested, most likely a failed damper.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra Type R
    What do you guys recommend me doing now?
    I dont have much time and opening up the coil seems quite a lengthy job.
    Am I able to still drive with these on safely while I purchase a new set?
    Is it worth fixing?

Difficult to say...

It might be a simple fix or a complete overhaul of the coilovers...

So its up to you on this regard.

Safely? Again up to you cause we don't know the extent of the issue so your own judgement call?