Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    GA2 City
    thanks mate when i get the other engine out a crack her apart ill get measuring

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord coupe
    I am new member in this forum community. My name is James .Nice Project. Nice to meet u!!

Member Array
    Car:
    GA2 City
    Omg progress what a dirty word that is

Oh hey everyone been a while yes the project is still on I hope no one had panicked that I had given up.......

We'll I've been waiting for "over night parts from japan" that took 3 months...... Lol

Gear box bell housing mods are almost done heads off at the shop getting a port and polish.

Engine bay is empty tho I have yet to strip it right back and re paint it that's Next week.

I drop the dash off on wed for flocking and I might drop a bottle of scotch and the engine looms over to a mate who will need the scotch. Lol nothings labeled I'm such a bad friend ....

Ooooo and the shocks are off getting made into coil overs

Now I just have to pay for it all..... Lol

Pics are up on the blog

Wow! and here's me thinking my poor old car had dissapeared for good. Had to recreate the shortcut to the blog. Shocks getting made into coilovers eh! That'll be interesting.

Member Array
    Car:
    GA2 City
    Yea they just use the measurements of the old ones and make them into coil overs in a custom job. Should be nice but that will be a while away as most custom jobs are

Member Array
    Car:
    GA2 City
    ok so it turned out that the shockies were going to be ..... alot so back to square one but fear not im on a mission

i believe that accord shocks may fit under it.

I busted out the cheapo canon camera that i bought for the garage for photos and took measurement photos of strut and hub.

now i tried to fit the vti hubs and shocks to my car when i wrecked it and the hubs were well off. the bottom ball joint bolt was much smaller on my car.

so i bought some ef shockies and again the ef shockie is too small to fit in the hub......

here is the mesurements if somone could mesure some shockies from a 90 model accord would be great! or know of any shockies that are a bit thicker?

The problem you have there is that the City's setup is a true MacPherson, and the shock shaft is also part of the steering assembly and is normally a bigger diameter shaft to withstand cornering loads. The later civic, accord etc shocks don't have that stress put on them as they connect via the yoke around the CV shafts to the LCA. What you will need to look at for alternatives is the ones from the pre 87 civics/crx's or accords as they are the same type of setup. The Gen 1 Integras could be a better bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dooonster View Post
    yea should be a good bit of fun a 700kg with a 100+ hp engine shouldn't be to much to get the engine over 100 since i have to put custom manifolds on the car should get me just over the 100hp and that will be fun in a car this small. just hope someone else has done some stuff with the car so that i know what to do
    Man my old mini with 38hp and 550kg was a blast - I'm sure 100hp in 700kg should be more than fine lol

More pix , love these old city's

I have to apologise, I gave you a bit of bum info there. The only one of those earlier models that used coils similar to the GA2 is the pre 85 Accords (and possibly the Preludes which generally were Accord based), all the others used torsion bars connected to the LCA and therefore used a shock without a spring seat but still did have the thicker shaft. Could be worth looking into because it may be possible to make up a sleeve type lower seat that would fit over the shock and bear against the outer edge of the knuckle (your last pic). A custom top seat may need to be also made for the coilover spring. As it's a tracker you wouldn't need to be too worried about a rubber insert.

I wouldn't be surprised that the knuckle in the GA2 is the same as one of those earlier models.
    Last edited by hondapop; 26-12-2013 at 09:02 AM.

Someone that might be able to help with ideas is Ian (forum name anjin) over in Perth, he races a Gen1 CRX. May be able to suggest something or someone.

The GA2's top seat could probably be modified (insert) to take a smaller diameter coil.

Member Array
    Car:
    GA2 City
    Wow i need to subscribe to my own topic so that i get updates......

had a massive look around about it bought shocks from every model accord none fit so its either coil overs custom made or springs and a rebuild.

on another note

this are slowly taking shape. (i through it all back together really quickly i might add nothings set in properly and its just sat in there to get a photo for all to drool over.....)

All of the flocking was done by gold coast flocking and i cant recommend his work enough

If anyone On the coast wants work done here is his contact
    Gold Coast Flocking
    Asher Ct Upper Coomera QLD 4210
    (07) 5502 9953
    Last edited by Dooonster; 26-01-2014 at 05:17 PM.

That's a flocking good job! Ya gonna get the door cards done too? Hope you can find the triangle to cover the mirror screws.