Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra 02 Type S

Exclamation DC5 02 - K20a3 with CAI - Submerged in water

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place for my problem.

Background:

DC5 02 K20A3 Auto with Cold Air Intake.

1. Car was driven into a flood.
    2. Driver tried to start the engine while the CAI was submerged.
    3. Water leaked into the car up to pedals height
    4. Took the car home, wait for it dry.
    5. Started the car, black smoke, sounded rough, and car went into limp mode.
    6. Replaced the MAP sensor, now car has white smoke. Drained oil, appears to have water mixed with it. Replaced spark plugs, which were pitch black.
    7. Car starts, but only runs for 15 secs and turns itself off. Getting misfire from cylinder 2, i'm hearing clicking noises where the gearbox is.

Just towed the car to honda dealer. They did some testing and informed that i needed a new ecu, the one inside the car was soaked in water and might have short circuited. Going to get a used k20a3 ecu from a wrecker for them to try out.

Do you guys know what else might be wrong?

Also are there any good mechanics in SA that can fix this? I've already spent $2000 so far on parts and labour, and have yet to see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks in advance - appreciate any help.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    This thread on clubRSX should help:

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=726248

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    1 - trying to start car while intake fully submerged = water sucked into engine = hydrolock, possible bent rods.

2 - waited for it to "dry out", there still would have been water in oil, cylinders and intake. that running right there would have done more damage to the motor, possible further due to hydrolock, and running it with water in the oil.

3 - yeah the ecu, but thats not gonna fix the rooted bearings, and possible bent internals. If you have insurance, do an insurance claim. If not, may as well just buy a new motor.
    to see all of my build, checkout