Member Array
    Car:
    integra

selling a car without compliance plates

got a friend who is trying to sell his car (well what remains of it)

isnt too sure of legality

original bought it for a few spares (pretty much whole lotta panels) and now wants to sell the engine/box and most people want the whole thing (so they can remove it at their workshop etc)

anyway the cars an import and only has build plates (no compliance or Australian vin) and also no import papers or documentation of import

is it legal to sell as a whole?

Yes but only as parts

Get ( him) to sign a piece of paper stating you are transferring the VIN / build to the new owner to prove ownership

Member Array
    Car:
    integra
    kool

'transferring the vin/build'

car has no vin but did you mean to mention selling the remains of the car with chassis frame number (thats the only identifier) for parts only on the reciept?

Well the next identifier is the engine if its still existing

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2/180sx
    Should be allowed to sell it, a buyer would only want it for its parts or turn it into track car. if it still has its chassis/engine number use that when writing a receipt if buyer wants one i guess
    I dont think anyone can stop u from selling it

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    From my research, aslong as the vin is still there, and you have proof the vehicle was registered in your state in the past, then you have no problems if the compliance plate is missing.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    integra
    theres no vin (well australian issued vin as its an import) and no idea if the car was previously registered.

think my mate found someone thats going to take the car and return it after removing engine/box so seems as if its all good

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9T+Euro
    If there is no papers or vin etc, then can only sell it for parts. However the onus is on the buyer to know/understand/respect that. With regards to ownership, its just like if you sold anything else, hand over the cash and its done! As with any significant purchase/ sale though I would always provide or ask for a receipt to prove ownership should there be any dispute down the track, any form of identifier on the car would suffice on the receipt.

Realise this has all been said already in the thread, just thought I would re word it...

Trism is also correct though for anyone else researching, you do not necessarily require a compliance plate to register a vehicle. Every state is different but as long as you have a vin or correct import details you should be right. Doesn't actually matter if the car was previously registered in your state, but as stated, the rules vary depending on where you are.
    DA9 LS w/JDM SiR B18C turbo
    Looking for older Honda project car pre-1985