Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    92 B18 eg Civic

Skunk2 70mm tb problem

Hi guys, installed my skunk2 70mm tb last night. The car starts fine but after driving it, it won't idle correctly. Between 1-2000rpm mostly. Hunting quite wildly. I can also hear a louder air sucking sound from my intake too. I reused my original dc2r iacv and tps. Motor is b18c.

I've slackened off the throttle cable to ensure the tb is back in the closed position
    Reset the ecu

Anybody know what could be causing this erratic idle?

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9T+Euro
    Vaccum leak?
    DA9 LS w/JDM SiR B18C turbo
    Looking for older Honda project car pre-1985

likely vaccum leak as said above

but the reason is probably a tear in the tb gasket , or the vaccuum system doesnt line up on the TB vs the inlet mani side.

Member Array
    Car:
    92 B18 eg Civic
    The tb gasket is a thick thermal skunk2 one designed for the tb, and the tb is designed to work with stock manifold, I don't think there's a leak there but ill check it regardless. Would that explain the increased sucking from the intake? Sounds like a vacuum cleaner

Member Array
    Car:
    CRX
    There's two screws inside the throttle body that hold the butterfly in place...check there tight and still intact....

Member Array
    Car:
    BREEZE
    Quote Originally Posted by crobaa View Post
    The tb gasket is a thick thermal skunk2 one designed for the tb, and the tb is designed to work with stock manifold, I don't think there's a leak there but ill check it regardless. Would that explain the increased sucking from the intake? Sounds like a vacuum cleaner
    Quote Originally Posted by _CRX_ View Post
    There's two screws inside the throttle body that hold the butterfly in place...check there tight and still intact....
    This, Ive read of several motors using skunk2 tb's that have ingested butterfly screws
    part time potato

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Integra
    Check for leaks above as said.
    reset ecu and let it ecu relearn itself.....
    no tune? 70mm upgraded from a standard b18 62mm is a big mindfk for stnd ecu

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by Evok View Post
    Check for leaks above as said.
    reset ecu and let it ecu relearn itself.....
    no tune? 70mm upgraded from a standard b18 62mm is a big mindfk for stnd ecu
    this...

Member Array
    Car:
    92 B18 eg Civic
    Ok, ecu has been reset again. I've also backed off the throttle cable some more which seemed to help the most, which is strange because I could feel the throttle returning to the fully closed position before, but slackening it off definitely helped. Now the car only hunts about 400rpm up and down and not above roughly 1900rpm. There's a big brass screw on top of the tb, also the return position adjuster screw, would it help to tweak these a bit? Will check the butterfly screws are tight inside too.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    id be checking the butterfly screws are tight before i even turn the motor back on again.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    i would be building an engine that requires a 70mm throttle body before you even turn the motor on again.

on the serious though... the tune dosnt consider the needlessly large throttle body and if your set on using it, then its worthwhile getting everything matched and then having it tuned.
    Last edited by Daveho1; 09-07-2013 at 05:57 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    92 B18 eg Civic
    I'm gonna port match it this weekend then start hunting for a hondata. Engine will be worked in the future hence why I bought it.