Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2010 Euro base model - best tyres?

Hi all,

I cant believe how quickly this baby chews the tyres - on average every 30k she needs new ones...this is probably not a surprise to low slung passenger car drivers who are loaded up with low profile tyres, but I am used to 80,000-100,000k from 4wd light truck tyres (which are still about the same price or cheaper than passenger car low profiles...).

My latest were Maxxis which were very grippy and if anything a little better than the standard Yoky Decibels in the wet but a tiny bit louder.

I am still after excellent grip, so I know I am going to have to settle for getting similar k's. Any tyre recommendations?

Cheers and thanks

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    '11 Euro CU2
    WTF on average every 30k she needs new tyres? uh something is not right there...too much grip too much chewy, get another set of tyre for daily driving and leave the grip ones for like track day =="

Member Array
    Car:
    GTI /Tiguan/CU2
    the yokohama db decibel e70 should last 50,000km with good alignment and gentle driving style. the wear rating is 320.

my CU2 luxury with michelin primacy HP tyres has done 35,000km and they still have about 60% left at the rears and 40% left at the front. the wear rating is 220. that's with a half day of motorkhana session (just for giggles with a large slow torque-less sedan )!

more grip = lower wear rating = softer rubber = quicker wear.

OR

bad alignment / aggressive cornering = premature wear. simple as that.

I've got 48,000km out my mine (std CU2) and have ~10% left on the threads; I will be replacing the tyres soon. i

Something is not quite right with yours.

Also, someone correct me if I am wrong, by my thoughts are that 225/50 tyres are not very low profile at all
    Last edited by Dilan; 07-11-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by natnat View Post
    the yokohama db decibel e70 should last 50,000km with good alignment and gentle driving style. the wear rating is 320.

my CU2 luxury with michelin primacy HP tyres has done 35,000km and they still have about 60% left at the rears and 40% left at the front. the wear rating is 220. that's with a half day of motorkhana session (just for giggles with a large slow torque-less sedan )!

more grip = lower wear rating = softer rubber = quicker wear.
    Not necessarily true. Nitto Invo are way grippier than the db and Primacy HP, but has a wear rating of 280. Fairly quiet too. If you were happy with the DB consider the Nitto Motive, has a Wear rating of 560, should be good for 100k km. Apparently the rubber is a bit harder so the ride isn't as smooth though. Otherwise, Kumho's are pretty decent value tyres.

bad alignment / aggressive cornering = premature wear. simple as that.
    Nothing but the truth. If the Yoko's only lasted 30k km, either your driving style is what's wearing them out, or your not rotating them enough, or your alignment is off or your impression of worn out tyres greatly differs from ours.

Thanks guys. It gets a lot of corners!

As for wear its shoulders due to the negative camber they run. It gets rotations every 10000.

Cheers
    Last edited by ozscott; 07-11-2012 at 07:35 PM.

... Ohh to me they are low profile... It's all relative. The sidewalls on my Land Rover tyres are 3 times as high...

Cheers

... Might also be a generational thing. My hq holden had normal tyres... The Honda and similar sedans run low profile tyres.

Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    GTI /Tiguan/CU2
    you can always look at near new used genuine CU2 Accord Euro 17" wheels and tyres for around $1k in eBay, eg:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2012-Hond...item337d9072f0

there are always a set or 2 for sale every now and then as they don't seem to be desired much IMO.

i bought a set of visually brand new 17" wheels and yoko db decibel e70 for $999 when i needed a new set urgently to pass RWC testing. the tyres still have nipples on them!

these days 50 profile tyres are rather fat for 225 width, especially on the Accord Euro, i often feel sleepy due to its comfort...

Member Array
    Car:
    GTI /Tiguan/CU2
    Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    this one is a much better review:
    http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...-sport-page-10

but the first (Michelin PSS around $550 each for 18"), second (AD08 around $600 each) and third tyres are not cheap in Australia.

Thanks for the replies. I would like to stick with 16's - they are more comfortable and are less prone to blowouts from potholes.

I will see whats around today.

Cheers