Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EG Civic

Check Engine Light, Random

Hey guys, looking for a bit of help in regards to CEL coming on randomly, but making no difference to the car driving/running/whatever

Its a B16a2 EG running on standard computer, standard engine (bar b18cr intake)

While im driving, usually in the exact same spot from home/same street when im driving to uni, the CEL comes on, but makes no difference to the car driving/sound, and turning the car off and then back on removes the light for about the same distance again, but when the cars warm, itll go a little further without coming on, and sometimes not at all.

Any suggestions, opinions or things i should do/look out for would be much appreciated
    Wakefield Park PB: 1.15.6

Sounds just how my civic went with a busted o2 sensor, same turn around the block from a cold start an it would come on. Best to jump the 2 pin cable for the ecu code but that is my guess.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by Loagz View Post
    Sounds just how my civic went with a busted o2 sensor, same turn around the block from a cold start an it would come on. Best to jump the 2 pin cable for the ecu code but that is my guess.
    thanks man, yeah ill give the code a check, just need to figure out how to do it haha, ill re-read the DIY when i get a chance to work on the car

Member Array
    Car:
    7x CRX, 1x EK
    Check for codes

you might need to check for the codes when the light comes on.

there might be loose wires, when you hit a bump the light comes on
    My style

Member Array
    Car:
    88' ED6
    Had the exact same issue with mine, replaced O2 sensor/reset ecu and it went away for a week. Then came on again, and would do so exactly like you said, I could predict it exactly. Did the timing belt and water pump and it doesn't come on unless I sit in the same spot (i.e. traffic in hot weather for 15-20mins)
    '96 EK1 - '99 Milano Red DC2R - '99 Championship White DC2R - '92 EG4 - '89 EF9 B16/LSD - 88' ED6 - 91' SR20DET 180sx - 93' EG8 B16 Sedan

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    checking on the codes is a no brainer, codes could be stored in some memory so you might not have to wait for the light, but if you test it and nothing comes up then do the test again when it is on.

but it does sound like an o2 sensor thats finally warmed up and realised its not working.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    how long has this engine been in the car?
    i ask because on the eg when b swaped you need to convert from the 1 wire o2 sensor to the 4 wire setup, it may be worth checking the wiring as both of the heater circut wires are black and have been known to cause a stall/CEL if reversed.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Civic
    its been in there for as long as ive had it and as long as the previous owner had it, not sure past then, does that literally mean 2 wires going to the O2 sensor vs 4 wires?
    nub here

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    check your ECU for codes

It will tell you what the problem is. Its not hard to do. The link I provided tells you how to do it.

If it was the PO2H (heater) the MIL wold come on before you even select the gear to drive off, not after 10min of driving

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Civic
    Update, So i finally found a paper clip, and its come up as code 43, FSS, so ill start with the O2 sensor, seems pretty common, then vaccuum hoses too, coz i have a bit of an idle problem, so it might lay there, fuel filter is fairly new so id pretty much rule that out, and always run on 98... :S

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Civic
    and furthermore where can i buy a decent one