Thread: B16 shat itself

Member Array
    Car:
    EK Vti-R

B16 shat itself

Hey guys,

May I get some help?

I was driving to work yesterday n going up a slight hill, the car lost all power when I tried to accelerate and then when I got over the crest the car stalled, I put it in 2nd and pulled the clutch out, it 'seemed' to be running fine as in it sounded fine when the revs were up but when I went to accelerate it just didn't respond and even died a bit. I pulled over and it stalled again.

Upon cranking it fired and it was running like this:

After it stalled in the video it wouldn't start again and when it cranks it's like when it gets to a certain cylinder a sound comes out of the intake as if it's blowing air back out (like a whoomph sound lol, hard to describe it with words but you can hear it at the end of the video just as it dies, it makes that sound while cranking). When it cranks it makes the usual starter sound then dies - even the interior light dims right down and then it goes normal again till it gets to that cylinder (that's the best way I can describe it). I can get a video of that if it helps it sounds like it's bangin off one cyl and the engine was shaking a LOT.

A few years back it dropped a cylinder and one of the plugs wasn't firing, it ended up being traced back to the ECU and when it got checked out all was fine, they plugged it back in and hasn't skipped a beat since. I thought I'd mention this in case its related somehow although the difference this time is that all plugs are getting spark and all cylinders are getting fuel.

I took the tappet cover off this morning and the timing belt is still there, I haven't checked the timing but it's very tight so I doubt it could have slipped... All the valve springs seem intact but I haven't poked around any more as this happened yesterday and I haven't had the time.

I would really appreciate some insight and things to try instinct tells me something to do with my ECU due to that prior problem and it happening all of a sudden but I don't know a lot.

Thank you in advance guys and girls!

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type R
    Check distributor (rotor) ...

Member Array
    Car:
    EK Vti-R
    Brand new ign coil, rotor button and dizzy cap, <3 months old. all plugs are getting spark as well, new spark plugs too, changed same time as that other stuff
    Last edited by 98vtir; 17-07-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5.9, EF9, EL2
    if not the dizzy, check BOTH sides of the belt.. normally one side is tight and one is loose. sounds like when mine jumped a few teeth after a 'workshop' did the timing belt LOL.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK Vti-R
    Thanks I'll take the cover off and look, I just haven't had the time to have a good poke.

Did the tensioner on yours come loose or something VT3C?

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    done compression test yet
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, S15
    hows the ICM in the dizzy??
    snapping 2nd..

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R / S2000
    ahh thats fukt up man.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2