Test-driving an '81 civic wagon

Hi all,

im going with a friend to test drive an '81 civic wagon they are looking to buy next week and i was just wondering if there are any issues specifically related to this model (common rust points, engine noises, known problems, etc), or just general tips that i should be looking out for?

any help would be greatly appreciated

cheers
    Last edited by guskenny83; 16-07-2013 at 02:54 AM. Reason: typo

Member Array
    Car:
    Waiting on ride
    I would assume as per normal to check boot + spare tyre area for rust spots and just general rust in engine and surrounds.

Generalisations; obviously check for oil leaks, coolant leaks ( if dry, the surrounding area with leak should have white stains ) and just check how the owner has looked after it aswell.
    I would say that suspension on this old bucket would be an issue, take it over some areas with a bumpy road maybe and do some full lock turns to check steering / suspension.

Common problems may include hard to start at all times, possible ignition or even harder to source injection issue ( in terms of parts for the age of vehicle ); rough idle for sure and it may be hard even to differentiate between dirty throttle body rough idle or a compression rough idle.

Hope this helps,

SOHC just kicked in YO!

thanks a lot for your help, we're going next week so i'll let you know how it goes..

in terms of parts being hard to source.. if, further down the track, the car decides to shit itself.. how straight forward is it to drop a later model civic engine in?

Member Array
    Car:
    Waiting on ride
    I can't be sure on dimensions but the older cars usually had a fair bit of space so I will ASSUME that a engine swap to maybe a d16 / b16 / b18 would not be too hard at all.

But that is just an assumption but I'm pretty confident another small size engine with fit without too many issues. Engines aren't the hardest thing, it may be something so simple like a spring in the ignition barrel that holds the key back after starting.. the issue there is that it may be sealed and you will need a new steering column lol. That is just an example.

Have fun and take it easy.
    SOHC just kicked in YO!