Re Honda Models and Engine Designations

Being new to the Forum and the world of Honda is there anywhere on the Forum where one can find the model and engine designation/s for say a 1998 Honda Civic?

One of the Subaru forums I used to visit have 2003 (or MY03) X - XS - XT Forester SG9 with an EJ20 - EJ25 - EJ25T etc, is there anything similar here to explain the same type of thing to Forum members
    and assist them to learn more about their particular vehicle.?
    Last edited by White Orchid; 20-07-2013 at 12:01 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    1998 Honda Civic will come with one of the following engine codes:

D16Y4 SOHC Non VTEC 1.6L
    D16Y8 SOHC VTEC 1.6L
    B16A2 DOHC VTEC 1.6L

Look at your VIN and it will say JHMEKxxxxxxxxxxxx the number after 'EK' will help you work out what engine code should match.
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    Or you could use the badge on the back of the car,
    since 96-00 is an EK model, it would have:
    CXi (no tacho , no power windows etc) GLi (power accesories)
    VTi
    VTi(R) (top model with DOHC VTEC)
    and they match respectively with the a fore mentioned engines.
    Last edited by Baby Face; 21-07-2013 at 07:15 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    To Correct Baby Faces Comment:
    In Australia,
    VTi - 2nd top model - Single Cam VTEC (SOHC)

VTiR - Top Model - Double Cam VTEC (DOHC)

Japan

The Above expect EK9 - Type R Civic
    This is truly the top model of the 96-00 Civics.

B16b - Double Over Head Cams (DOHC) - Very special 1.6L Motor If you ask me.
    5 Stud brake Setup + 282mm rotors (correct me if Im wrong here someone)
    Recaros and what not your standard Type Rs come with.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Maybe this will help explain better

As stndrd posted Look at your VIN JHMExxxxxxxxxxxxx and the badge on your boot.

So from E what ever letter and the number follows is your model, So follow the below.

JHMEK1xxxxxxxxxxx - This is called an EK1 - CXi (Basic model no power options or even cupholders lol) or GLi (Power Options) Both these cars had d16y4

JHMEJ6xxxxxxxxxxx - This is the lowest model of the coupe 'GLi' - Comes with all features aka tacho power everything and cupholders. D16Y7 from memory.

JHMEJ8xxxxxxxxxxx - The 2nd lowest/Highest coup 'VTi' - All power features + Single Cam Vtec Motor d16y8

JHMEK4xxxxxxxxxxx - Australia Top Model Hatch 'VTiR' - All Power Features + B16a2

JHMEM1xxxxxxxxxxx - Australia Top Model Coupe"VTiR" - Just like the ek4 but in coupe form not hatch.

JHMEK9xxxxxxxxxxx - Japan only hence JDM "Type R", a handful have made their way to Australia. - Careful to find yourself a genuine one if your in search.

Also i think its worthy to note,

As you move up the trim range aka ej6 >ej8 > em1

I have realised that design of seats/ Type of Materials use is improved aka my em1 passenger seat is much comfier then my brothers ej6 driver seat and so forth.
    Last edited by amant02; 21-07-2013 at 05:04 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    Quote Originally Posted by amant02 View Post
    To Correct Baby Faces Comment:
    In Australia,
    VTi - 2nd top model - Single Cam VTEC (SOHC)

VTiR - Top Model - Double Cam VTEC (DOHC)

Japan

The Above expect EK9 - Type R Civic
    This is truly the top model of the 96-00 Civics.

B16b - Double Over Head Cams (DOHC) - Very special 1.6L Motor If you ask me.
    5 Stud brake Setup + 282mm rotors (correct me if Im wrong here someone)
    Recaros and what not your standard Type Rs come with.
    sorry forgot the R ahah. thanks for correction.

Member Array
    Car:
    front ender ek9
    Quote Originally Posted by amant02 View Post
    Maybe this will help explain better

As stndrd posted Look at your VIN JHMExxxxxxxxxxxxx and the badge on your boot.

So from E what ever letter and the number follows is your model, So follow the below.

JHMEK1xxxxxxxxxxx - This is called an EK1 - CXi (Basic model no power options or even cupholders lol) or GLi (Power Options) Both these cars had d16y4

JHMEJ6xxxxxxxxxxx - This is the lowest model of the coupe 'GLi' - Comes with all features aka tacho power everything and cupholders. D16Y7 from memory.

JHMEJ8xxxxxxxxxxx - The 2nd lowest/Highest coup 'VTi' - All power features + Single Cam Vtec Motor d16y8

JHMEK4xxxxxxxxxxx - Australia Top Model Hatch 'VTiR' - All Power Features + B16a2

JHMEM1xxxxxxxxxxx - Australia Top Model Coupe"VTiR" - Just like the ek4 but in coupe form not hatch.

JHMEK9xxxxxxxxxxx - Japan only hence JDM "Type R", a handful have made their way to Australia. - Careful to find yourself a genuine one if your in search.

Also i think its worthy to note,

As you move up the trim range aka ej6 >ej8 > em1

I have realised that design of seats/ Type of Materials use is improved aka my em1 passenger seat is much comfier then my brothers ej6 driver seat and so forth.
    Not sure about this. Isn't it the other way round? The common coupe is an EJ8, commonly preface 96-98 spec, with facelift 99-00 being EJ6, but also GLi trim

There's a VTi sedan which I assume is an EK1.

Edit: Stand to be corrected, of course
    Last edited by ctx; 22-07-2013 at 10:09 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Mate, you cant tell me that d16y7 is from a higher model then the d16y8. (d16y8 is the top D series motor in my view) I also agree the double overhead cam no vtec variation provides same power sort of power delivery. But VTEC is always offered in the higher model.

If you want theres a ej6 and em1 sitting on my driveaway and an ej8 across the road from mine.

In the coupe the only differences are i think motor + brakes + seats. Inside is all the same.

Yes you are correct about the sedan, but i believe the trim levels are the same as the coupe.

Another thing to note about the b16b - Perfect stroke ratio!
    Last edited by amant02; 22-07-2013 at 08:52 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    RB1 & GTR33V
    oh dont forget the EM1 99-00 = B16A2 VTiR (top of the line for the coupe series)
    RB1-ODC