"Clunking" when steering quickly.

Hello,
    My Honda Civic EH9 (Sedan, Right hand drive) emits a "clunking/thumping" sound when turning right with decent speed, and with a decent outward force. For example on a large roundabout at 60 km/h it will emit this noise. It is not a clicking sound, and does not happen at lower speeds (say in a car park). The sound does change with the speed of the car too, as well as becoming louder/more pronounced.

I looked under the car and there seems to be some lateral play (outwards, not up/down), from the joint between the CV axle and differential. Would this be something like a diff clip/retainer that makes sure that the CV axle is properly attached to the differential?

Note: the drivers side (the shorter CV axle) has no play whatsoever.

Any help/advice would be appreciated,
    cheers.

the "cup" moves back and forth ? Or the driveshaft itself ?
    EIther way both should be firm when the suspension is static.
    If the "cup" was loose (not locked into the diff housing) you would be losing gearbox fluid too.

do you have aftermarket suspenison ?
    inspected your tie rod ends ?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    sounds like the cv joint itself is kaput. nowadays a new drive shaft is around 100-150 if you feel like avoid the trouble of actually changing the joint.

the other option is the rack end or tie rod end. but my bet is CV.

Member Array
    Car:
    83, 85 &86 lude
    Could also be an inner bearing or the clip which happened to my prelude many years ago.

Have you had any unexpected bumps lately?

Is it an oscillating sound? It could also be an outer bearing. It's unusual but they can fail.
    To test jack up your car front (both wheels making sure you chock your rears) then spin the wheel while holding the top of the knuckle. If you feel a vibration it's probably an outer bearing.
    1986 JDM DOHC B20A Gold Top Prelude: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...-honda-prelude
    Want JDM? I can source it for you - PM for details