Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Crx Del Sol

If a car gets written off, do I also get the car + the money ?

Just got into an accident
    ,some stupid lady came out on a main road without head checking and i smashed right into her rear side door.
    My front part is completely smashed, bonnet, bumper , fenders , lip , headlights.
    The radiators pushed in as well, the chances of the car getting written off are really high
    If the car gets written off do i get the car as welll? or does the insurance company take the car away.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    the insurance company takes it, however you can general buy it back in most cases

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    depends on your policy if your fully insured. Read it.
    If your 3rd party. And not at fault the other insurance company will just pay you out and you keep the car. But they give u the redbook value of the car!

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Depends on the insurance company.

Talk to them about it.
    to see all of my build, checkout

The above post have been pretty spot on. Majority of cases i know, you can offer to buy back the car at a scrap value. So they pay out $5k, and you offer maybe $500, so you will get $4500 cash and you keep the car. Most times insurance will be prepared to sell you back the car, because they dont want to have to deal with transporting it back/forth and then onselling it to wreckers/auctions

Member Array
    Car:
    Crx Del Sol
    Thanks guys!

Member Array
    Car:
    7x CRX, 1x EK
    I recently crashed my crx.
    Turns out if the car is older than 15 years (in Tassy) they don't have to make a write off, it becomes a total lost which just means it would cost more to fix than what it was insured for.
    I bought mine back for $500 and drove it to work that day but I had less damage than you.
    If you want keep the car make it none at the start then they might be able to help you out
    My style

Member Array
    Car:
    Crx Del Sol
    So did you get the money value of your crx?

Member Array
    Car:
    Crx Del Sol
    My car is a 2000 model cxi, So might be a different case

most likely written off

sometimes you can buy car back from insurance company by reduce payout

Member Array
    Car:
    7x CRX, 1x EK
    Quote Originally Posted by Breadkingdom View Post
    My car is a 2000 model cxi, So might be a different case
    You get back how much it was insured for.
    My crx was insured for $5000, bought the crx for $500 and $4500 back
    My style

Member Array
    Car:
    83, 85 &86 lude
    Policy dependant you get paid out and forfiet the salvage. I have yet to see a single PDS which says in the event of a total loss "we pay you and you get your car". Generally it's the insurance company who keeps the salvage. This is how insurance works - you are paying them to handle the "risk". Your car is the risk property.

Often you can talk to them and ask if you can keep the salvage or buy it back. They may actually give it to you if the assessor says it's worht nothing smashed up?

My advice - make lots of calls once you take the car in and make it very clear you want to keep/buy back the salvage.

Good luck.

Zaahir
    1986 JDM DOHC B20A Gold Top Prelude: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...-honda-prelude
    Want JDM? I can source it for you - PM for details