Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

first day driving my dc5r !

Hey guys,
    as you may have seen, i have asked several questions about Dc5s before i purchased one.

I finally purchased it about 2 weeks ago and so far im happy with it.
    The initial plan was to wait until 15k is saved up then go ahead and search for a dc5 but i saw one which had alot of potential and with the price i negotiated, i just couldnt say no !

I payed 8300 for it , it is on revs from 2 years ago for hail damage, which still requires attention, the clutch was slipping and rego due early next month.

the plan is to get the hail damage taken out of the whole car except bonnet ( apparently better to change it overall) and then if required in the future will get the car re sprayed same colour with the new non damaged bonnet from wreckers.

i had the clutch and some oils done today, and hopefully next week ill have the guy come to my house to sort the hail damage

the car is sitting at 145000km with most of its life log booked but towards the end i relised it had a bit of misplay in the book which i noticed today when i got the book stamped after doing clutch some seals engine oil gearbox oil and coolant flush.

Anyway, obviously today is the first time i got to drive it apart from driving it home after purchasing it because the clutch was completely fried and coming from the charade, i was pretty happy, but to be honest was expecting more from the car.

firstly one question i have is, today i looked at the petrol lid and it said premium unleaded only meaning min 95 RON? i filled up only 30 with bp ultimate for the meantime because i know rego nearly gone wont re register till charade is sold.

would it harm the car if i had to fill up 95 sometimes? because i am a student sometimes not much work around and at times 98 fuel price is absurd !!

another thing is i noticed when i am turning or on a bend at higher speeds like 80km or so, the steering wheel felt a bit light or wobbly i guess? i let go of it and it leans and turns abit to the left so i know it may need a wheel alignment but do you think that is the reason as to why the wheel feels unstable on the bends at higher speeds ? just feels like it was bouncing all over i guess? not sure how to explain it but i know for a fact that the dc5r should handle way better than that.

also, driving it today i had to take it easy for half tank as the mechanic said due to fresh clutch but i gave it here and there just no slamming gears etc.

i noticed that first gear vtec is just horrible or is it just me? it just doesnt move or go anywhere, second was ok but nothing special but third just blew me away ... is it normal to be expecting that for 1st and second ?

ive had my mechanics and performance shop inspect the car thoroughly and all they said was it needs new shocks breaks and machining of the rotors apart from that they said its good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ozhonda.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	188.9 KB 
ID:	25330  

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    why vtec in 1st? 1st is just to get you moving its a short small gear so of cause theres no power, your driving instructer should have told you that when you where 16

if it says premium, just use premium, the acctual doller difference in a tank of premium and a tank of normal unleaded is what $5-10, several companys premiums are 95 anyway but i personaly use bp ultimate as i get better mileage out of it anyway over shell ,caltex etc

if steering feels loose i would look at tie rod ends and rack ends and inspect for p/s leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveho1 View Post
    why vtec in 1st? 1st is just to get you moving its a short small gear so of cause theres no power, your driving instructer should have told you that when you where 16

if it says premium, just use premium, the acctual doller difference in a tank of premium and a tank of normal unleaded is what $5-10, several companys premiums are 95 anyway but i personaly use bp ultimate as i get better mileage out of it anyway over shell ,caltex etc

if steering feels loose i would look at tie rod ends and rack ends and inspect for p/s leaks.
    cheers.

If it's a stock air box you wouldnt be able to feel anything, but with an intake you would feel a tiny surge of power when you hit vtec, the wobbly thing is probably due to wheel alignment issues wheel bearings and multiple causes which i'm not sure of.

I'm guessing a few things need to be readjusted and replaced first then see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by Daveho1 View Post
    No argument there lol All truth!
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    it sounds to me like several things may be a bit out of whack son.
    if i where to buy a car now and i was unsure of its history i would;
    1st-do a major service, change ALL fluids including fuel (flush the tank) , belts (inspect timing chain stretch), plugs, all filters including in tank pickup and check thermostat function.
    2nd-mechanical repairs as needed checking obvious things like brakes clutch etc
    3rd-tire balance and check for obvious signs of wear.
    4th-wheel alignment.
    5th-full clean top to bottom.

i had a wheel alignment done today but once again was told my shocks are gone. im not krrn on slammig.my car but i do want to drop it like an inch or so . i hear coilovers arw a better option than a spring and shock combo. i got quoted 1550 for bc coilovers supplied and fitted is that too much
    are they any good ? also i got rold there are buddy club n plus or something like that for 1450 unfitted. i saw skunk pro coilovers for 1k on ebay . not sure what to go with its pure street want good handling for the street for when i want to throw it around a bit. what do you recomend l i dont want to pay too much really.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    i like buddy club myself, i have a mate on BC and they seem good too but cant comment on skunk2 as ive never driven on them but they are a respected brand.
    the BC would suit your purpose fine, that being said so would a spring/shock combo or even some pedders coilovers but a good middle ground quality wise is BC or buddyclub

i also have the option of having springs made for my car at the height i want which is 1-1.5 inch all round along eith konei shocks which are supposedly really good itll be like 200 cheaper but i dont really need coilovers if i wont be adjusting the height etc right ? i just eant one goof setting for mad street handling and i think the konei shocks n springs will suffice but coilovers are seen as bettee value for resale not sure what to do

Quote Originally Posted by RA73DR View Post
    i had a wheel alignment done today but once again was told my shocks are gone. im not krrn on slammig.my car but i do want to drop it like an inch or so . i hear coilovers arw a better option than a spring and shock combo. i got quoted 1550 for bc coilovers supplied and fitted is that too much
    are they any good ? also i got rold there are buddy club n plus or something like that for 1450 unfitted. i saw skunk pro coilovers for 1k on ebay . not sure what to go with its pure street want good handling for the street for when i want to throw it around a bit. what do you recomend l i dont want to pay too much really.
    Be VERY careful what you put under your DC5R...

Unlike the older Hondas, it uses Macpherson at the front, this means its more unforgiving and harsh so coilovers will just make that worse...

If you're after more comfort than performance, better check around first... The Tein Street Basic? Or Advance [I've not kept up with Tein's latest product lineup] might be a better choice...

Quote Originally Posted by RA73DR View Post
    i also have the option of having springs made for my car at the height i want which is 1-1.5 inch all round along eith konei shocks which are supposedly really good itll be like 200 cheaper but i dont really need coilovers if i wont be adjusting the height etc right ? i just eant one goof setting for mad street handling and i think the konei shocks n springs will suffice but coilovers are seen as bettee value for resale not sure what to do
    Shocks + Springs better option especially if you're going to keep the car for a few years... They might possibly be better for your application too Coilovers after a few years, value drops to nothing...
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Koni yellow sport and eibach prokit springs comfy for street and slightly lower, handles better than cheap coilovers
    KEEP IT VIET | KEEP IT JDM
    FaLL iN LoVe WheN YoU aRe ReAdY, NoT WhEN YoU ARe LOnEly

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    ahh of cause i forgot about that. yeah id prolly still go coilovers but it may be worth really reserching