Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R

Help Me Again Ozhonda

Hello Ozhonda,

My Manual gear shifter is loose. Its annoys me some times.

I would like to fix it. How can I fix it. Google search didn't do much for me as some ppl claim that its a bushing of some sort of description, whiles others say its a plastic part that sits in between the bushings.

Problem: Gear stick feels like its in neutral all the time, even though i know the car is in gear and is moving lol. There's alot of play in the shifter. It doesn't feel firm like in my old cars if you were in neutral if move the stick of the left or right even the tiniest bit it would snap back into the middle position. This gear stick you dont even feel it move to the left or right at all like there's barely any pressure against you moving the knob.

My Solution: What if i take this chance to buy a buddy-club short shifter? Will this fix the problem. (cos i really this fake shit boot as well, makes werid noises when the shifter vibrates, annoys the shit out of me) - Sounds like having loose change bouncing everywhere in your ashtray on a bumpy road.

Please letme know what you have done to fix this problem. I can take a video of my problem if required.

Please advise soon, looking to make a run to JDMyard early next week.

Member Array
    Car:
    Ek4_cxi_type_R
    Change your shifter bushings to new ones and itll be all normal again. No need to go out and buy a short shifter if ur bushes are busted
    Last edited by joyride; Today at 07:26 AM. Reason: Ask for permission if you're going to use someone elses pic

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Does the buddyclub shifter come with new bushings?

Most short shifters won't include the shifter bushings, you'd have to sort them separately.

Depending on which car you need them for, check out TWM performance, they normally have short shifter, base and shifter bushing kits.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Integra
    Dude, is ur shifter atm stock or aftermarket?
    some aftermarket shifters requires spacers put between & installed on the shift linkage. bolts that bolt your shifter do become loose as well.

with the bushings, buy them on ebay from usa. their often cheap and come with fast shipping options or go jdmyard.

Quote Originally Posted by Evok View Post
    Dude, is ur shifter atm stock or aftermarket?
    some aftermarket shifters requires spacers put between & installed on the shift linkage. bolts that bolt your shifter do become loose as well.

with the bushings, buy them on ebay from usa. their often cheap and come with fast shipping options or go jdmyard.
    Says cheap .... Then says to go to jdmyard

Lmaooooo

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    Quote Originally Posted by lolmclol View Post
    Most short shifters won't include the shifter bushings, you'd have to sort them separately.

Depending on which car you need them for, check out TWM performance, they normally have short shifter, base and shifter bushing kits.
    Quote Originally Posted by lolmclol View Post
    Says cheap .... Then says to go to jdmyard

Lmaooooo
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to lolmclol again.
    connorling, your profile and evidenced by your post tells me alot about what type of feral you are..... all class 'hay'!!!! ps. not your m8....

Member Array
    Car:
    92 B18 eg Civic
    Sounds to me like your engine mounts are gone, if its moving around on bumpy roads like you said. Seeing how its directly connected to the motor, if the engine mounts have a lot of play so will the shifter

Check your engines, torque mounts and bushes on the shifter to make sure it isn't elsewhere.

I'm running Energy Suspension shifter bushings.
    **I HAVE NEVER DEALT WITH THIS COMPANY. It is just the first Google result **
    http://www.jdmcarboy.com/product.php?id_product=3279

Also added **more random googleness ** B&M Straight Short Shift (not suitable for short arsed people) http://www.customcarscentral.com/bnm...r--94-01-.html

My shifter feels like it is on rails. It is so slick and perfect. My comments:
    - first gear selection can need a bit of muscle.
    - shifter vibrates nicely at idle.
    - shifter boot is 'just' long enough- but it doesn't worry me as I rather have the boot slid down an an inch anyway. But if you select first (with the boot up against the knob) its taunt. Just and only just long enough.
    - for short arsed people (like my wife)the reach to the shifter is not great and they'll find it too far forward. But- my redneck elbow stays on the console lid and I just flick my huge paw back and forth to change gears. If you are a midget I'd recommend a bent shifter.

As per others- do the bushes. Its magical. And add the shifter- it's even better.

Tex

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Quote Originally Posted by crobaa View Post
    Sounds to me like your engine mounts are gone, if its moving around on bumpy roads like you said. Seeing how its directly connected to the motor, if the engine mounts have a lot of play so will the shifter

I have already sus'd this out. A trader PM'd me here, I think imma go with his option. Seems cheaper. Short Shifter + New bushings + new boot.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    Quote Originally Posted by amant02 View Post
    I have already sus'd this out. A trader PM'd me here, I think imma go with his option. Seems cheaper. Short Shifter + New bushings + new boot.
    what car is it for?

if its for the GD then im not sure but if its the EM or EG then its probably the bushings in the unijoint mine wore out on my B16 civic, its a bitch to change them, remove the shifter linkage from the tranny by removing the "bitch pin" and replace the linkage and rod:

something like this
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Innovative-M...-/221191019101

Hasport shifter rod replacement kit

notice the white bushing on the uni joint? thats what wears out and gives that loose feeling.

alternatively u could cut some washers and slide them in as a shim to remove the play.
    i removed mine and ground off the pin and filled up the gaps with washers and gave it a more solid feel, but couldnt get it perfect, a small gap can make a lot of difference.

At first I bought the ES bushings and they did ABSOLUTELY nothing because they just support the stabiliser, waste of time lukily they are like 20$, and easy to do whilst you're under there.

to do determine if it is the stabiliser bushings that are knackered try pushing and lifting the gear stick up if it has lateral movement then the bushings are going, but if u put it in first and it flops around then its the uni joint. i recomend buying a replacement over my method which just took hours and wasnt perfect.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by amant02 View Post
    short shifters arnt always a good thing dude, but in alot of cases its an excuse to buy something from skunk2 buddyclub b&m etc etc as for the shifter boot, i got a brand new EG shifter boot from honda and it was.... ready.......under $45.

my advice is fuk off the short shifter most of the time its a wank thing anyway and lowering your leverage wont help smooth shifting, physics says a shorter fulcrum makes lifting a load harder not easyer, now that being said there are shifters out there where there length is about the same as stock but the pivot and linkage joint are closer togeather, that may be a different story. but for your purpose of just smooth shifting stock is fine.

imho get bushings and the new boot ( even then im sure you can fix ur old boot...) and inspect the linkage for excessive play in the unijoint
    if theres to much play in the uni joint i have a spare eg shift linkage you can have for cheap.
    Last edited by Daveho1; 30-07-2013 at 06:00 AM.