Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 VTI-R

Question Strange Wheel Noise When Wet

Hi guys,

I have a 1995 Integra VTi-R (DC2) and I've started experiencing a strange problem from my front left wheel. Basically, when it rains very heavily and after I've been driving for a bit, sometimes it'll start making noises that are similar to a flat tyre. So I pull over to take a look and everything looks fine. I start driving again and everything is fine. However sometimes it may happen again 5 minutes down the road, and stopping the car stops the noise and may or may not happen again. I'm basically just wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone? I don't get any strange noises any other time, only when it's raining heavily. I've given my wheel a shake and there's no movement, so it possibly isn't a wheel bearing. My CV joints also don't appear to be making any noises. I'll also mention that it happens when going in a straight line, without any braking. Just randomly makes noises. Sound familiar?

TL;DR - My wheel sounds like a flat tyre when it rains a lot. What do?

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    try rotating your wheels.

see if that helps if the sound follows that tyre, or if its in the suspension/drive train.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 VTI-R
    Quote Originally Posted by Baby Face View Post
    try rotating your wheels.
    Great idea! I'll give it a shot and report back when it rains again.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    odd one let us know how you go, very strange that its only when wet.

are you running mismatched tires (or one in reverse)? also what is the tread depth? perhaps there isn't enough tread to disperse the water.

Member Array
    Car:
    92 B18 eg Civic
    It's not any of the engine belts getting wet is it? Their also on the front left side and will make a similar sound when wet

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 VTI-R
    Quote Originally Posted by fillit View Post
    are you running mismatched tires (or one in reverse)? also what is the tread depth? perhaps there isn't enough tread to disperse the water.
    All the tyers are the same. Pretty sure on correct sides too. I think they've still got plenty of tread left (50%) but I might take a look just in case. It's a good idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by crobaa View Post
    It's not any of the engine belts getting wet is it? Their also on the front left side and will make a similar sound when wet
    That doesn't sound good at all, I could take a look at that next time it happens. The rain yesterday afternoon was enough to trigger this problem. I noticed that if I don't stop driving, it'll come and go. Sometimes it'll sound terrible and sometimes it'll sounds perfectly fine. I unfortunately won't get to swap the wheels around until the weekend, I don't have a spare tyre to use when swapping them, or a jack for that matter :P I'll take a look at some of the ideas you guys have provided and take a look.

Member Array
    Car:
    92 B18 eg Civic
    It sounds really bad but it's not a problem, just find out why rain is getting in there, maybe splash guard missing in wheel arch

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    is it when your going through puddles?

see if whilst its making the noise if acceleration or deceleration have any affect.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 VTI-R
    Quote Originally Posted by Baby Face View Post
    is it when your going through puddles?

see if whilst its making the noise if acceleration or deceleration have any affect.
    When it's making the noises, it'll become louder if I press on the accelerator. But it's hard to say it's that in particular because sometimes it'll do it while slowing down too. I'm not sure if they're related or simple coincidence. It rained a bit tonight but wasn't enough to get the noises going. It doesn't seem to be caused by puddles, just happens randomly. I'll think about all of the suggestions and take a look at things.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    find what connects those things together. we know rain. so water? roadsurfaces? does it do it at any specific speeds/gears under load off load.

its very difficult to trouble shoot unless we can replicate the problem.
    maybe just water hitting the guards