Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9

[CL9] Dot 3 brake fluid in Accord Euro

Hey Guys,

Just had my brakes upgraded today and had my brake fluid replaced.

The bloke was very knowledgeable, however I noticed on the invoice the brake fluid used was PDR Dot 3. I swear I was originally quoted Dot 4. I asked him about this and was told that the Dot 3 was suitable for the Euro.

I got home tonight and looked at the Owners Manual which states to use either Dot 3 or 4 depending on what it listed on the reservior???

I have looked at the reservoir and it still has the "Please use Genuine Honda Dot 4 Brake Fluid" label on it.

So my next thoughts are.
    Did the guy just message up the invoice and list the wrong product?
    Did he mess up and just use the wrong fluid?
    What sort of issues/problems can I expect if there is Dot 3 in the system?

I have read a lot about the differences Dot 3 vs Dot 4, but what I really want to know is will this destroy my braking system?

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    You can probably getaway with it......

The mechanic you used is probably used to older hondas which use DOT3, early 2000's they made the switch to dot4 I believe.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

I dont think it will destroy your braking system. DOT4 has a higher boiling point compare to a DOT3, so it will be better if you do a lot of heavy braking, or speeding downhill... else I think you probably dont feel any different. Just flush it again after 1-2 years or depend on the mileage you do. Fresh DOT3 is still better then few years old DOT4

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph-Wiggum View Post
    Hey Guys,

Just had my brakes upgraded today and had my brake fluid replaced.

The bloke was very knowledgeable, however I noticed on the invoice the brake fluid used was PDR Dot 3. I swear I was originally quoted Dot 4. I asked him about this and was told that the Dot 3 was suitable for the Euro.

I got home tonight and looked at the Owners Manual which states to use either Dot 3 or 4 depending on what it listed on the reservior???

I have looked at the reservoir and it still has the "Please use Genuine Honda Dot 4 Brake Fluid" label on it.

So my next thoughts are.
    Did the guy just message up the invoice and list the wrong product?
    Did he mess up and just use the wrong fluid?
    What sort of issues/problems can I expect if there is Dot 3 in the system?

I have read a lot about the differences Dot 3 vs Dot 4, but what I really want to know is will this destroy my braking system?
    You'll be fine, unless you are doing track duties or go on touge runs, there shouldn't be much of a difference until you bring it up to temperature (close to boiling point).

If you are quite pedantic about it, you can always flush it out and fill it up with dot 4 again. Probably not necessary and a waste of money.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    I was reading an article on the net that talked about the chemical makeup being different, and some guy claimed that if you change the fluid to Dot 3 on some systems directly after running Dot 4 and it apparently can start to cause corrosion.

Yes I know, it could have been anything. But that is what prompted me to post about my concern and get feedback.

Thanks Guys!

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Yeah was about to say, the seals might be an issue with Dot3 in a dot 4 system.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Dot 3 in Dot 4 is fine. It's DOT5 that is completely different to the rest, which is why Super DOT4 or DOT 4.1 exist. The only difference really is that DOT4 has a higher boiling point. If you don't race, it's not likely you'll notice any difference anyways.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    DOT3 and DOT4 are interchangeable. The stock Honda brake fluid used to be DOT3, then sometime ago changed to DOT4. Now I just use Castrol DOT4.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2