Long cranking before turning on

hi guys
    this has never been a problem but just to clarify this

my 92 civic eg efi starts on the first time everytime and has been bulletproof so far but it usually cranks for a good 3-5 seconds before starting when cold, when its already warm or been driven recently it usually starts up normally without the cranking.

it doesn't really bother me but just wondering what would need replacing to fix this,
    assuming it has something to do with the battery/spark plugs/starter motor?

cheers folks

Member Array
    Car:
    ek civic coupe
    cars usually take longer to start cold hence why they have cold start (why it idles higher then normal on cold start up), by the sounds of things you have nothing to worry about.

Member Array
    Car:
    ek civic coupe
    i havnt read through it, but here may lie some answers, difficulty starting a car is common, the colder it gets the harder, people using ethanol fuels usually experience harder cold starting. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-dr...-in-winter.htm

I understand that cold mornings may make it crank more but i'm wanting to know more of which parts could possibly be old/dying that I could replace in order to have a more healthy start up with less cranking, ie battery/starter motor
    Last edited by em1rida; 22-08-2013 at 10:31 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CXi R
    If you want to go through the expense you can change your battery or have your starter motor looked at... IMO from what you've explained , its fine and there's no need.

On especially cold days when I haven't driven the car for a couple of days I turn the key to ACC (one notch before cranking) and let it sit in that position for a couple seconds then crank it.

But what you've described is nothing out of the norm. If you have to try to crank it a couple of times then you may have an issue.

Member Array
    Car:
    ek civic coupe
    I agree 100% with mrjoeysan. What you described is normal. If it takes multiple atempts then there is a problem.
    Again reinforcing what mrjoeysan said, if you must. New battery with higher cold crank amps and new starter. It will more than likely make little difference since there are other factors. That link I posted up there will inform you (incase you didnt read it).

Member Array
    Car:
    RB1 & GTR33V
    my 03 GD jazz takes only 2-3secs to startup on cold. and click start on warm (instantly). if you want a healthier startup - get a bigger CCA battery that could possibly fit in your battery tray / terminal plugs. Your starter motor should be fine except when you start to hear grinding like noises during cranking.

if its no biggie - just spark up a cigi whilst your waiting for the ****er to kick-over
    RB1-ODC

Could be your Dizzy coil on its way out
    Could also be a loss of compression from worn piston rings
    EG

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Have you allowed the fuel pump to prime by turning the key to on position for 1-2 seconds (you'll hear the fuel relay click) before starting the car?
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2