Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    i think the bigger problem is actually wheel spoke flex

anyway if u get spacers make sure they're hubcentric and get the studs extended too. Should be fine #yolo
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    RB1 & GTR33V
    OP if your that worried - just buy then spacers to be safe. otherwise dem bbc will expand when hot mate!
    RB1-ODC

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    3mm wheel spacers is the minimum size or thickness they make atm, its more than enough to give u clearance, imo 3mm isnt going to effect anything, ur wheel nuts will still have enough threads to bite on on studs, rather be safe than sorry with a 4mm gap verses a 1mm gap tolerance on the calipers to wheels lol
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post

anyway if u get spacers make sure they're hubcentric and get the studs extended too. Should be fine #yolo

^ this.

the effects of heat are going to be 0 to negligible. Not even worth considering. However, the wheel WILL flex as you are cornering on track. 1mm isn't much so you may run into issues there. Depends on a lot though, but as someone else mentioned most BBK manufactures ask for 2mm clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post

I'm no expert on caliper clearance etc but I thought this would've been the main reason of caution. Not seeing anyone mentioning the spokes flexing when cornering hard on the first page made me think I was a bit of a derp. I think that'd be more of a problem than the calipers expanding.

Not sure about the DC2R but I tried I think a 3mm or a 5mm (can't remember) spacer on my Euro and when I tried to fit the wheel nuts back on, there was definitely not enough thread to hold my wheel back on securely so I took them off.

A 3mm spacer for your piece of mind - definitely.
    Willing to buy extended studs to accommodate the spacer - don't know, up to you. I'm not sure how much extended studs cost and the costs to also take off old studs/install new ones.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    extended studs are an easy diy

even I, a guy with hands as skilled as potatoes could do it
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    RB1 & GTR33V
    RB1-ODC

Member Array
    Car:
    92 B18 eg Civic
    I don't think I'd need extended studs on a 3mm spacer. I still like my 1mm washer idea but nobody has commented on it yet

Wheel still sits on hub center
    I have more thread on the standard studs to use
    The washers are all same height
    The pressure from the wheel nuts should still be evenly distributed

How important is it that there's between the hub and the wheel from stud to stud? From memory the wheel is hollow at the back on that point anyway?

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    whats washer thickness?
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    Ek4_cxi_type_R
    The washer isnt machined. So ur gonna have trouble with wheel wobble if its slightly off.
    Last edited by joyride; Today at 07:26 AM. Reason: Ask for permission if you're going to use someone elses pic

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    do not use washer, by using washers, u are creating 4 separate loads on the hub itself from the wheels, even if u torque it up evenly doesn't mean it will work and as pointed out the wheels will be off as washers aint designed for this particular application,

so realistically speaking, having a flat mating surface u spread the load evenly across the hub, so the idea of using washers is rather a odd one LOL

Theres a reason why race cars or show builders dont use washers to space out, even if its 1mm lol

Do it once, do it right and go for the spacer, 3mm isnt going to kill u
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by mugen_ctr View Post
    do not use washer, by using washers, u are creating 4 separate loads on the hub itself from the wheels, even if u torque it up evenly doesn't mean it will work and as pointed out the wheels will be off as washers aint designed for this particular application,

so realistically speaking, having a flat mating surface u spread the load evenly across the hub, so the idea of using washers is rather a odd one LOL

Theres a reason why race cars or show builders dont use washers to space out, even if its 1mm lol

Do it once, do it right and go for the spacer, 3mm isnt going to kill u
    it's called bearing failure
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC