Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2002 DC5R

DC5R - Engine issues

Hi guys,

I purchased a DC5R a few weeks ago from a private seller, the car was running ok for about a week and then the check engine light appeared.

Error 57 P0341.

Took it to a honda dealership, their diagnosis was stretched timing chain, VTC actuator, oil strainers clogged, engine flushing, and a few other things. Quote $3300 to fix.

Here's a video, the engine definitely sounds like something is a miss, i'm presuming most of the rattle is caused by the loose timing chain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90KKuxMIxG4

Car was serviced every 10k (Stamped). There was a period of 20k where there was no record but the owner stated he performed the service during that time.

My questions are:
    -Does honda's diagnosis seem correct? Is $3300 a reasonable amount to pay or are they attempting to guess the problem?

-Does the video sound like a loose timing belt or can you identify a more serious issue?

Thanks guys, any help is much appreciated.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R

Im thinking of doing it to my dc5 nxt week. Took 4 days off work for it. I'm scared of getting charged through the ass as it looks like a big job.

I dont have the code yet, but I can hear the timing chain and tappets. Honda ISNT lieing you to. That code is Chain has stretched and its time for replacement.
    K series motors don't use timing belts. They use a serpentine belt for accessories power and the timing chain + oil chain.
    This is just part of maintenance,

I will also be addressing new oil pump, oil chain and water pump in same hit as my car is sitting at 197,xxxkm. Never heard of a water pump/oil pump making it past the 250+ mark. May as well do it now, while ur down there.

WHOA 3.3k??? Hontoys told me they can sell me k20z + ecu for 2.8k. Rather go get a new lower mileage motor.
    Last edited by amant02; 26-01-2014 at 03:20 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Also you may find helpful.

https://mega.co.nz/#!qI42XDKQ!JqLwcR...-_SiYjFK1lnqOo

Why is it important to do.

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t...ies_tensioner/

Good Luck keep us posted. Make a DIY for the community if you can lol.

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2 Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by i878787i View Post
    Error 57 P0341.
    To get this error, your cam timing is wrong.
    Don't drive the car or run the engine until you fix it.
    VTC will also not work with this error so don't rush out & buy VTC sprocket or VTC actuator solenoid.
    Filter screen on front of head is cheap & easy to check/replace
    To check, place engine on TDC, remove rocker cover & check the alignment pin holes at sensor end of camshaft.
    (2 x 5mm pin punches should pop in through the holes in the cam support into matching hole in the trigger wheels)
    If out, check chain tensioner, chain length & chain guide for wear.
    Contact JDM Yard for replacement parts, probably in stock & way cheaper than Honda
    If ok,inspect exhaust side sensor & trigger wheel for damage & or foreign bodies. Test sensor wave form output & replace if faulty.
    (you'll need a pico-scope or oscilloscope to test the sensor wave form)

& do your valve clearances while you're at it.

Download the workshop manual here http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/downloa..._RSX_02-06.zip
    so you have a better idea of what you're doing.

hope that helps

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Hey Adrian, Out of curiosity how much would you u charge for this service??

PM sent. Thanks.
    Last edited by amant02; 26-01-2014 at 04:13 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2002 DC5R
    Quick update:

The car has been fixed $2.5k later.

Lot's of parts and work all done by CRS Automotive in Patterson Lakes, very happy with Carl's work, enthusiasm and knowledge on Hondas.

-Timing chain and related components (Guides, tensioner, etc.)
    -VTC components (vtc sprocket, vtc actuator)
    -Various seals, o-rings

Member Array
    Suzuka Circuit "Spoon corner", Fuji Speedway "100R Corner"
    Car:
    DC2R & R32 GT-R
    My friend just bought a healthy JDM K20A + ecu with 90,000 kms for 2.5k. you just have to know where to look. shouldve had a look at the option of buying online. its a hassle with no headaches
    "Stock Car, Modified Driver"