Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250

Tyre widths for AP1

Curious what most guys recommend on the AP1 as far as widths go, apparantly going non staggered on the ap1 is not good (works well for the AP2 guys because they are more understeer prone).

should i keep the stock difference? was gonna get 8 inch wheels all round and run 225F and 245R which keeps the standard 20mm difference and i hope it wont change the car balance.

you guys?

I just put new tyres on my ap1, went with standard sizes which were 205 front, 245 rear which are close to the Bridgestone 225's honda put on originally. I bought car with 205f,225r and it was very tail happy. Tyres were a little old n hard though because of the older lady that owned it before us.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    she was a pretty nice lady, but i told them that the tyres were going bad to which they said it still has lots of tread...
    so you went for 245 rears and kept the front at 205? is the balance off?

Member Array
    Car:
    trotts
    Unless you plan on tracking a fair bit the car staggered works well. I was running on 225f-255r for a while and it wasnt until i was at my driving limit (on a race track) did the 225's show there weakness. This was on a set of 17x7.5-+40something and 17x8.5x+40something. Guard friendly setup. With having a skinnier front tyre, the car will favour understeer. In saying that, if your driving like a penis, it will still oversteer.

I have since switched to a 245-255 setup and havent yet had a chance to go back to the track to test the setup out. But i would imagine i will lose some understeer but gain some oversteer.
    BONUS ROUND
    There is still room on the bandwagon for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Face View Post
    she was a pretty nice lady, but i told them that the tyres were going bad to which they said it still has lots of tread...
    so you went for 245 rears and kept the front at 205? is the balance off?
    Balance is great with the 205 fronts and 245 rears. The fronts still hang on better than the rears do. It will still oversteer before understeer, which is what you want if you want a "true sports car". It might not suit everyone. I'm waiting on Phils AP2V1 wheels to turn up though.

I Like that when you have 17 inch wheels there are alot more tyre choices. It does also look a bit better imo. I am wondering how much rougher it will ride though.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    Bob how are you running such low offsets
    http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/3427...fitment-guide/

according to this you need fairly high offsets

i know from a few ppl that track theirs in our local honda club that the cars will understeer on too fast a corner entry and oversteer easily too. And i have read alot that if you change the tyre widths to a non stagger or away from stock the sway bars etc will no longer provide correct balance for the car.

Depends alot on personal preference, some people like to rotate the car with the throttle. Setting up a car thats good for the street and good for the track is two totally different things. Spring rates,camber toe in, tyres and the list goes on.
    Things to consider when setting your cars suspension up that will require compromise.
    *how much track time is your car going to see
    *are you going to be happy with a hard track setup if 95% of your driving is on the street (look at all the guys that buy track suspension and then sell if for a "street friendly setup")
    *tracks are very different as well, some really smooth, some bumpy undulations
    *how much are you prepared to spend on suspension/wheel/tyre combo?

heres a useful link http://www.rapid-racer.com/suspension-tuning.php

Member Array
    Car:
    trotts
    Quote Originally Posted by Baby Face View Post
    Bob how are you running such low offsets
    http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/3427...fitment-guide/

according to this you need fairly high offsets

i know from a few ppl that track theirs in our local honda club that the cars will understeer on too fast a corner entry and oversteer easily too. And i have read alot that if you change the tyre widths to a non stagger or away from stock the sway bars etc will no longer provide correct balance for the car.
    I have the common S2000 friendly (non poke/stretch) TE37's. With 0 camber they fit without issue. With -4 on the front there is about 20-30 mm of space from the outside of the tyre to the outside of the guard. Also I'm at 95mm to the ground all round (jack points), so that helps with easy clearance.

Correct balance for who and what? What setup works for person A, might not work for person B. Its more of a try it, change it, repeat. Also sway bars are used for "fine tuning". They dont add grip, they move it. Grip is completely dictated by your tyres. Its your job to find the best way to get the most out of them for your driving style.

Personally i have had very little issues with oversteer. With the old setup the car would understeer at every aspect of the corner, entry, mid and exit. The rear however was more predictable and use able and generally would only step out on corner exit. Also this only happened at lower speeds say, under 140kph. Both tyres the RSR and RS3 shared the same problem which lead me to believe it was because of the much smaller contact patch on the front. The mechanical grip on offer in the front is a lot less then the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by John42td View Post
    Depends alot on personal preference, some people like to rotate the car with the throttle. Setting up a car thats good for the street and good for the track is two totally different things. Spring rates,camber toe in, tyres and the list goes on.
    Things to consider when setting your cars suspension up that will require compromise.
    *how much track time is your car going to see
    *are you going to be happy with a hard track setup if 95% of your driving is on the street (look at all the guys that buy track suspension and then sell if for a "street friendly setup")
    *tracks are very different as well, some really smooth, some bumpy undulations
    *how much are you prepared to spend on suspension/wheel/tyre combo?

heres a useful link http://www.rapid-racer.com/suspension-tuning.php
    I think that part is the most important part. There is always a sacrifice.

One thing i think is very important also is the spring rates. Softer say 8-12kg for using a street tyre, 12-16kg for a street tyre with aero and 16kg on wards for a semi with aero. On top of that you will need the matching valving for the springs you are using.

Like John42td said you need to decide what you want from the car. I offered my experience which despite what i read on the internet, suited me very well and allowed me to achieve my goal times. Coming from a FWD background, I'm comfortable with understeer. Now its time to try something new and see if i like it, but i will need to re align my car to suit the setup and my comfort in the car.
    Last edited by thebob; 08-09-2013 at 06:43 PM.
    BONUS ROUND

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000 AP1
    im running

front 225
    rear 255

generally the car understeers, running rs3 semis. use to run ad08s. car acted the same with the ad08s.

Member Array
    Car:
    trotts
    Quote Originally Posted by greek_rambos2k View Post
    im running

front 225
    rear 255

generally the car understeers, running rs3 semis. use to run ad08s. car acted the same with the ad08s.
    RS3's aren't semi's. They are a street tyre.
    BONUS ROUND

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000 AP1
    http://www.hankooktyre.com.au/Produc...m=5&ChildNum=3

hankook classify it as a semi. It also utilizes R compound rubber into its structure.

more info:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=Ventus+R-S3

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    yehp i checked it out, next time ill be running 225-245/255 i went with 215=235 last time around, because he had the tyres there and then and they were cheap, understeer was noticable. but its ok.

245 is a much more expensive size though, price increase of nearly 30% for a slightly larger tyre...