Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    '93 EG Si
    Nah man, decided to go B. Better engine, transmission and diff + VTEC. I found one for sale at a reasonable price. A tonne of aftermarket support, Much easier than Super D for me.

Hopefully will have a look and test drive sometime this or next week.
    Currently officially unofficially Ozhonda's vinyl sticker distributor:
    1 Small 150 x 29mm: $6 posted
    1 Large 250 x 43mm: $8 posted

IG: thenameis3k9

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Quote Originally Posted by 3K9 View Post
    Honda nerds, I have decided to go B18c Type R! Any specific advice on inspecting the engine (still in the owner's car)?

Thanks

Have a good look around the mating surfaces for oil leaks. Common ones are VTEC solenoid seal, cam seal, head gasket (all those three are around/below the dizzy), sump seal etc. Get a compression test done to see if the engine is holding good comp. Make sure the oil looks clean, no milky colour or too dark, ensure the engine isn't blowing any suspect smoke under load (white [water] and blue [oil], sometimes black [running rich]).

Check the GBox by driving the car. Check for synchromesh crunching at high RPM. 2nd and 3rd gear often go first. Reverse is often crunchy because it's a weak gear and it has no synchromech. Check for bearing noises (whirring etc). Check that the clutch is nice and firm and engaging/disengaging well.

Also ask when the pump/belts were all changed (good to do these while the engine is out anyway).

Member Array
    Car:
    '93 EG Si
    ^ Thanks mang!

I went to see it this week.

Visually, the engine looks good. Didn't get a comp. test though. Engine pulls strong and Vtec engages. The clutch is really nice and hard, heavy duty stage 3 clutch.

But the gearbox is a bit stiff. Is this because of the hard clutch? And I shifted from 2nd to 1st when it was rolling to a stop. It made a grinding noise. It's not meant to happen right? I was pretty sure I had put the clutch to the floor. Also when I downshifted from 4th to 3rd, it crunched a bit.
    Last edited by 3K9; 06-01-2014 at 11:46 PM.
    Currently officially unofficially Ozhonda's vinyl sticker distributor:
    1 Small 150 x 29mm: $6 posted
    1 Large 250 x 43mm: $8 posted

IG: thenameis3k9

Member Array
    Car:
    Corolla Spec S
    i wouldnt recommend downshifting into 1st
    peteju captures, like us on facebook..

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Gearbox will feel stiff because the gearbox in your civic is very soft. Had the same thing when I went from my EK to my DC2. Now the DC2 gearbox feels like my civics did because im used to it.

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    strong wat
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

Member Array
    Car:
    no weetek civic
    Quote Originally Posted by ivseenwars View Post
    Gearbox will feel stiff because the gearbox in your civic is very soft. Had the same thing when I went from my EK to my DC2. Now the DC2 gearbox feels like my civics did because im used to it.
    SSpamily

hehe

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by mocchi View Post
    strong wat
    pretty simple concept to understand, why u wat

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Because it's probably more to do with shifter length, shifter bushes, condition of shift linkage etc. Or at least enough that you could expect either box to feel stiff or soft.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    Because it's probably more to do with shifter length, shifter bushes, condition of shift linkage etc. Or at least enough that you could expect either box to feel stiff or soft.
    Yeah going in depth with it thats it.. but in short form its as simple as a DC2's gearbox (especially B18CR) feels and is a lot stiffer than a D series EG's gearbox..

Member Array
    Car:
    Corolla Spec S
    it aint a tight car

if it aint a type r
    peteju captures, like us on facebook..