Thread: Rotating tyres

Member Array
    Car:
    EKD

Rotating tyres

any tips for directional tyres... trying to maintain em aslong as possible on some -ve camber atm...

Member Array
    Car:
    EG B20
    Swapping front to rear every 10K and checking alignment regularly (maybe at the same time) and keeping pressures up is the most practical approach. If you really wanted to go nuts you can get the tyres flipped on the rims if they have tended to wear a bit unevenly - but this is probably a false economy at $80+ for the set.

Unfortunately if they're directional you're pretty much stuffed. you can try rotating them from front to back, but you're still going to get shoulder wear and it's only going to make matters worse with the more camber you run. Your only option really is buying tyres that aren't directional and flipping them if you really must run a lot of camber.

It's false economy though, you can resolve the problem by buying wheels that actually fit flush with your guards and by not dropping your car so low. Anyway, the majority of people on this forum I would suggest are running coilovers and camber purely for looks. You might be surprised how much better your car handles on all road surfaces, as opposed to racetrack smooth surfaces if you actually don't run your car ridiculously low with stupid amounts of camber.

Anyone can make a car handle on smooth roads by removing all semblance of suspension travel and making their car stiff as shit, but as I said, I'd hazard a guess most of us here aren't race car drivers and for the majority of us, most of our cars wont even see a racetrack. Sorry to break your balls, but, you make a lot of compromises purely for show.

It's fine if you're running a show car, but... If you're not, do things properly. You will be surprised how much better your car handles than with backyard cut springs and homemade coil-overs. Maybe I just got defected one to many times, but, I've left my other car in the garage.

In my late 20's I really can't be arsed being treated as cop bait every time I go out for a cruise, or having to deal with heavy handedness just because I make myself a target. You'd be surprised how much better the police will treat you when you're driving a shopping trolley spec car with some nice wheels that are the proper offset and legal ride height.
    Last edited by Integra-GSi; 22-09-2013 at 01:22 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    integra gsi- Repped.
    hes right if your tyres are directional and you have to much camber unless u have acces to a wheel balancer and tire changer, ur fukd.
    get your suspension properly set up for road use and be done with it
    Mate my bbk cost more than your Honda.
    -Amant02

Member Array
    Car:
    EKD
    directional, non-dir, assym... pretty much can only strip and refit to make the most ouf of any tyre??

Having asymetrical directional means you can't swap them... bad things will happen if you run a directional tire with the tread patter the wrong way including the possibility of a complete loss of grip on your car! The tred is not meant to work in the opposite direction and you could end up having an accident, killing yourself and/or someone else.

DO NOT TAKE A SHE'LL BE RIGHT MATE ATTITUDE TO RUNNING NON-DIRECTIONAL ASYMETRICAL TIRES AGAINST THE DIRECTION OF THE TRED!

If you have access to a tire fitting machine and a non-directional/asymmetrical tire you can swap the tread over from the outside shoulder wear its most worn and put it facing the outside. If you're lucky and running enough camber it won't even wear any further than what it has. Either way though you run the risk of having uneven wear and there again as a result, loss of traction.

The long and the short of is that it's just not really economical to be running a ridiculous amount of camber on a road going car. One of these days I'll take a photo of one of my 16s I've still got in my garage just to prove a point about camber wear.
    Last edited by Integra-GSi; 27-09-2013 at 05:26 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    you must spred some reputation arou........integra gsi
    Mate my bbk cost more than your Honda.
    -Amant02

Huh?

You can put a directional tyre on any corner you like. You just need to turn them around on the rim to swap left to right.

It's only asymmetrical AND directional tyres that can only be swapped front to back

Quote Originally Posted by daevilone View Post
    Huh?

You can put a directional tyre on any corner you like. You just need to turn them around on the rim to swap left to right.

It's only asymmetrical AND directional tyres that can only be swapped front to back
    Thanks yeah... you're right