S2000 Service History

Hey guys

Just had a question regarding service history and what would commonly be considered 'full' service history or satisfactory especially in terms of an S2000. Have done a bit of searching and thought would be good to get some thoughts.

An S2000 maintenance schedule I have found online schedules every ~12,000kms to do items, A/B/C etc where A is an oil and oil filter change (approx. every 12,000km) and B a more comprehensive service (approx. every 24,000km).
    Does 'Full' mean a stamp for every item as per the maintenance schedule?

If a car's record only shows services for ~1000km / 10,000km / 20,000km / 40,000km / 60,000km etc services (I'm presuming the more comprehensive 'B' services) would that be considered 'full' and satisfactory when purchasing; assuming owners doing their own oil changes?

Would be keen to get any opinions.

Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    When i was looking for my own S2000 i would expect a 'FULL' service history to consist of stamps for every 10,000km as a minimum 5,000km is a bonus, as they are TECHNICALLY scheduled for services every 10,000km on the logbook (Though most enthusiast change the oil every 5,000 at home these MINOR services aren't usually stamped due to it being DIY)

Think of it this way if the cars had oils changed every 5,000/10,000km with log book stamping atleast you know for sure its been done rather than assuming/hoping, IE if your wanting to buy Mohammed's S2000 and log books are only showing stamps every 20,000kms though he claims its been done 5,000km in between are you going to believe him? Most likely not and if he really did there is really nothing to prove it.

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1
    full service history mean showing every service it had since new.
    it also includes missed service

if the seller says full service history + serviced on time, then at minimum, the car should be serviced every 10k km

I wouldn't care too much about service history.

Most of these cars are now 10-13 years old. Chances are they don't have full history.

Also, you can have car A with full service history but has been tracked for every one of those kms. Now turns out that 10,000km is far too long between services.

or, car B with missing service records but has been well looked after by the owner. Perhaps they do all their own service work (like me).

now, you have no real clue which car you are about to buy out of those two. Far more useful is general condition of the car, get it checked out by a mechanic, compression tests, etc.

Service history doesn't tell you what condition the car is in now, which at the end of the day is all you really care about.

FSH is only worth the paper it is written on. ie. nothing

However it is a very good starting point. Finding out what was done when and the intervals between them, and then having a mechanic to check over it to ensure the records and conditions tally up.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Fake ones can be made easily anyways

Member Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    Yes fake ones can be made but with common sense and abit of calling around a car that has anywhere near a decent history at all you will be able to pull records of it somewhere to verify the authenticity of the services/log book and if theres any dodgy shit that doesn't match up or in any doubt whatsoever walk away - simple as that.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    If it's been done at a dealership, hondaone will have records of what's been done
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Thanks guys. A good range of views here. So even if a car doesn't have full service history, but it's in reasonable condition and checks out with an independent inspection it shouldn't preclude a purchase? And I guess lack of full service history could factor into the price then

Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    If it's been done at a dealership, hondaone will have records of what's been done
    Is there a way to search through hondaOne if you're not an owner?

Member Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    Quote Originally Posted by tandy View Post
    Thanks guys. A good range of views here. So even if a car doesn't have full service history, but it's in reasonable condition and checks out with an independent inspection it shouldn't preclude a purchase? And I guess lack of full service history could factor into the price then
    Cars without service history are definitely still buyable by all means but just make sure you do your checks and have someone who knows what they are doing thoroughly run through it - if there isn't a service history record make sure you do grill them about the services just to get an idea whether or not they know what they are talking about in terms of maintenance, it will give you a good idea if they are knowledgeable about the car and will help you make a decision whether or not the owner has taken care of it or not.

These days no books are a common bargaining chip so where possible you can play this to your advantage to save some $$$