Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EK Civic

Shock Absorbers to go with Ground Control Coilover Sleeves (Not KONI YELLOW)

I am about get a set of Ground Control coilover sleeves (6kg/4kg) and I am looking at my options in terms of shocks.

I am only looking at around a 1-1.5" drop (max) and this car is my daily driver (think around 500-600km's a week).

At the moment I am tossing up between 2 options;

- Koni STR.T (Orange)
    - Skunk2 Sports Shocks

Initially I was 100% set on the Koni's being that they have a lifetime warranty. However, reading some reviews they appear to have a history of dying (from bottoming out) when they are paired with lowering springs/coilover sleeves. Also, they are apparently not valved well for heavier spring rates.

Looking at on paper specs, the Skunk2 Sports springs seem as though they will have a better longevity for my purpose, being that they are designed for use with coilover sleeves and higher springs rates. But so far I have not been able to find many reviews of these shocks (from any time after 2008), and I am sure by now the company has addressed some of the manufacturing issues that plagued the first batch.

Does anybody have any experience with either of these combinations?

I am looking for honest opinions, not the standard response of "Get Koni Yellows"
    Last edited by UkuleleGod; 02-10-2013 at 12:07 AM.

Koni!
    Import Performance and Styling
    -= Official distributors for Password JDM =-

Ok so it was standard. Koni and ground control is a proven set up. Ground control kits are made to fit koni shocks. Driven on them and it's an awesome combo with lots of flexibility to up the rates later

Member Array
    Car:
    front ender ek9
    koni yellow (sport)

Member Array
    Car:
    EK Civic
    Thanks for the feedback.

Just to mix things up a bit, the sleeves i am getting are different to those that suit the koni yellows. So koni yellows are out of the question. I know that the yellows are a tried and tested setup, but with these springs they will not be an option.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    the reason why the str are blowing there guts is that all the stance wank kids slam there rides with the GC sleeves on these shockers which there not designed for, simple fact.

they expect cause its koni it will last, but no, koni srt are just a sports replacement for oem shocks, so for guys like you, 1-1.5 drop is perfect, infact koni even specifically states max drop is 1-1.5 drop

Just because some hektik stance kid said koni srt are shit cause his ride is kissing the floor than blows 2 days later doesnt imply they are a bad shock, far from it, go koni, forget junk2, im pretty sure junk2 are just a rip off designed and rebadge items.
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    EK Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by mugen_ctr View Post
    the reason why the str are blowing there guts is that all the stance wank kids slam there rides with the GC sleeves on these shockers which there not designed for, simple fact.

they expect cause its koni it will last, but no, koni srt are just a sports replacement for oem shocks, so for guys like you, 1-1.5 drop is perfect, infact koni even specifically states max drop is 1-1.5 drop

Just because some hektik stance kid said koni srt are shit cause his ride is kissing the floor than blows 2 days later doesnt imply they are a bad shock, far from it, go koni, forget junk2, im pretty sure junk2 are just a rip off designed and rebadge items.

Thankyou!

This is closer to the answer I have been looking for. I am not planning on slamming the car. Just dropping it slightly. So junk2 is a no go, I was just wondering whether they are really that bad, or the koni fanboys on Honda tech are just trashing it because it isn't a koni sport.

Also, is it worthwhile to go for the extended top hats while I am getting all the parts together? I am trying to do this well, so that I don't find myself doing it again in a year.

Member Array
    Car:
    Dc2r & EGK20a
    Sorry to kinda go off topic. Instead of using Eibach springs(Supplied with the Ground Control), If i choose to switch it over to Swift Racing springs.. Would they fit?

Quote Originally Posted by neut View Post
    Sorry to kinda go off topic. Instead of using Eibach springs(Supplied with the Ground Control), If i choose to switch it over to Swift Racing springs.. Would they fit?
    Why?

Eibach are used in all types of racing. I don't see the benefits in doing so

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by UkuleleGod View Post
    Thankyou!

This is closer to the answer I have been looking for. I am not planning on slamming the car. Just dropping it slightly. So junk2 is a no go, I was just wondering whether they are really that bad, or the koni fanboys on Honda tech are just trashing it because it isn't a koni sport.

Also, is it worthwhile to go for the extended top hats while I am getting all the parts together? I am trying to do this well, so that I don't find myself doing it again in a year.
    No need for extended hats, again reason why koni has extended hats is for the sole purpose for those who wish to lower there ride but still retain the same shock travel, but for small drop like 1-1.5 honestly doubt u even need to think of extended hats at all, if oem shocks can cope with a small drop, im sure the koni srt will still behave as good as it is when dropped abit. I havent seen any car needing extended hats unless they plan to drop signifigantly.

I cant say for sure about skunk2 parts, but i guess its really hit n miss, they have been in the game for a good number of years so surely they must be doing something right, but imo koni have the reputation out there, not just in street but in racing so gotta ask ur self is it worth spending more on quality and known parts or just the typical street stuff

Some guys say there good budget, than others say other wise.....

Although there coilovers have been known to be bouncy, poor valving to suit the spring rate would b my guess
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

IF the ID is the same, I guess so...

Quote Originally Posted by UkuleleGod View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

Just to mix things up a bit, the sleeves i am getting are different to those that suit the koni yellows. So koni yellows are out of the question. I know that the yellows are a tried and tested setup, but with these springs they will not be an option.
    Hmmm, if you're planning on running 6k/4k then I'd definitely recommend Koni Yellows and perhaps have them revalved to suit. Koni Orange pretty sure won't be able to handle 6k/4k 'well' and I'm not 100% if Koni can revalve the Koni Orange [STR.T]
    Last edited by DreadAngel; 03-10-2013 at 05:55 PM.
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5, EF8, EF2
    If you hadn't already bought the coilover sleeves then I'd suggest Bilstein as a good alternative to the Koni. Have you bought sleeves to suit the OEM shock diameter? If so I'd assume they won't fit the Bilsteins anyway, due to different shock diameters.

No reason you can't. I'll be doing this to use some of the springs I have lying around.

Quote Originally Posted by DreadAngel View Post
    I
    Hmmm, if you're planning on running 6k/4k then I'd definitely recommend Koni Yellows and perhaps have them revalved to suit. Koni Yellow pretty sure won't be able to handle 6k/4k 'well' and I'm not 100% if Koni can revalve the Koni Orange [STR.T]
    I've heard numbers of 500lb/in as a comfortable limit of the Koni Yellow, roughly 9kg/mm. I wouldn't revalve at the threadstarter's proposed rates, seems like it would be right in the middle of the Koni's happy range.