Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by UkuleleGod View Post
    I am about get a set of Ground Control coilover sleeves (6kg/4kg) and I am looking at my options in terms of shocks.

I am only looking at around a 1-1.5" drop (max) and this car is my daily driver (think around 500-600km's a week).

At the moment I am tossing up between 2 options;

- Koni STR.T (Orange)
    - Skunk2 Sports Shocks

Initially I was 100% set on the Koni's being that they have a lifetime warranty. However, reading some reviews they appear to have a history of dying (from bottoming out) when they are paired with lowering springs/coilover sleeves. Also, they are apparently not valved well for heavier spring rates.

Looking at on paper specs, the Skunk2 Sports springs seem as though they will have a better longevity for my purpose, being that they are designed for use with coilover sleeves and higher springs rates. But so far I have not been able to find many reviews of these shocks (from any time after 2008), and I am sure by now the company has addressed some of the manufacturing issues that plagued the first batch.

Does anybody have any experience with either of these combinations?

I am looking for honest opinions, not the standard response of "Get Koni Yellows"
    6/4 is heavy...?
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Quote Originally Posted by chargeR View Post
    I've heard numbers of 500lb/in as a comfortable limit of the Koni Yellow, roughly 9kg/mm. I wouldn't revalve at the threadstarter's proposed rates, seems like it would be right in the middle of the Koni's happy range.
    Sorry I typed Yellow, meant Orange XD
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    Del Sol
    i m running F10 R6 on koni race which has been running like a dream (off topic tho)
    every shock has their optimum range of spring rate so its yr HW to check it out
    theres no coilover kit off the shelf is designed to handle a ground kissing drop
    if u r looking for a performance drop, go for the koni combo or bilstein shocks if u hv the budget
    if u r looking for a stance-the-fk-out drop, get wtever cheapest and change it every 6mnths lol
    another good choice i recommend is the KW V1 if u just want sth off the shelf, good for daily and hv good quality

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Go Koni.

6/4 is pretty light, won't be that stiff but will be stiffer than stock. Stock I'm pretty sure is 4/3 and most aftermarket coilovers are at least 8/6.

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    You know they created bump stops to stop them from bottoming out?

just sayin....

They also sell extended top haps to go very low and extend shock travel.

So I would just stick with the Konis.
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    EK Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    Go Koni.

6/4 is pretty light, won't be that stiff but will be stiffer than stock. Stock I'm pretty sure is 4/3 and most aftermarket coilovers are at least 8/6.
    Yeah, I just had a look at that. It seems like quite a few people are running stiffer springs on their cars with the same shocks. So I think I will probably go with the koni's.

Quote Originally Posted by grifty View Post
    You know they created bump stops to stop them from bottoming out?

just sayin....

They also sell extended top haps to go very low and extend shock travel.

So I would just stick with the Konis.
    Yeah, it is looking like koni's are they way. The question is whether I want to go with the extended top hats or just go their bumpstops. I will be piecing it all together in the next few weeks, and will be sure to post some before/after pics.

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    I reckon install them with your standard top hats and see how that goes, if it isnt great then get the extneded top hats. You will only loose an extra 1-2 hours labour if you decide to install the extended top hats later.
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadAngel View Post
    Hmmm, if you're planning on running 6k/4k then I'd definitely recommend Koni Yellows and perhaps have them revalved to suit. Koni Orange pretty sure won't be able to handle 6k/4k 'well' and I'm not 100% if Koni can revalve the Koni Orange [STR.T]
    This isn't entirely correct, Koni SRT.T can handle ground control OTS rates, how do i know? Because I'm running on them and its been 3 years and still no negative signs yet. it all depends on your driving habits if you treat the daily roads as a 'circuit' and go in mid air and stuff then yeah it won't last very long but if your driving them normally it lasts a long time. I been in all setups throughout my ownership: lowered, stance and now i'm in the middle of the 2 setups, they still run good and its not too stiff.
    My cousin had the same setup Koni SRT.T/GC Coils OTS rates and his one only lasted 2 months because he went airborne at 100ks.

And as for skunk2 sport shocks, again their not as bad as everybody says it is, a mate of mine has skunk2 sport shocks/skunk2 coils for 4 years and still going good. He loves it because he loves the stiffness (yes they are a very stiff combination).

So yeah if its just a daily man SRT.Ts or Skunk2 will do.
    Genius....Rad Car......why not have both?

Member Array
    Car:
    EK Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsrea View Post
    This isn't entirely correct, Koni SRT.T can handle ground control OTS rates, how do i know? Because I'm running on them and its been 3 years and still no negative signs yet. it all depends on your driving habits if you treat the daily roads as a 'circuit' and go in mid air and stuff then yeah it won't last very long but if your driving them normally it lasts a long time. I been in all setups throughout my ownership: lowered, stance and now i'm in the middle of the 2 setups, they still run good and its not too stiff.
    My cousin had the same setup Koni SRT.T/GC Coils OTS rates and his one only lasted 2 months because he went airborne at 100ks.

And as for skunk2 sport shocks, again their not as bad as everybody says it is, a mate of mine has skunk2 sport shocks/skunk2 coils for 4 years and still going good. He loves it because he loves the stiffness (yes they are a very stiff combination).

So yeah if its just a daily man SRT.Ts or Skunk2 will do.
    I guess this is a valid point here, the driving I do is mostly daily duties with the occasional weekend cruise. To match these springs and struts I have ordered a set of ground control soft progressive bump stops, considering the drop I am going for (around 1") the shocks should be able to hold up just fine.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by UkuleleGod View Post
    I guess this is a valid point here, the driving I do is mostly daily duties with the occasional weekend cruise. To match these springs and struts I have ordered a set of ground control soft progressive bump stops, considering the drop I am going for (around 1") the shocks should be able to hold up just fine.
    Oh well then in that case Koni SRT.Ts will go well or if you want that little bit extra ontop for damper adjustable get Tokico Illuminas. They go really well with the GC's and have 4 levels of damper.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tokico-HP...item3cd4f315a4

Think their an extra $100 from Koni SRT.T
    Genius....Rad Car......why not have both?