Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9

CompTech Icebox; K&N vs CompTech

Hey guys, I've got a CT Icebox (CF one, yay). I've been running a K&N filter in it for a while now, but now that a service is nearing, I've been wondering if I should drop in the filter that came with it. Has anyone compared the two. Also note that I haven't' had any of the rattling or similar problems that CT was meant to have with the K&N. I have noticed that the intake noise is more audible between 2-3k rpm, but I doubt that's it.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    i did a comparison - i have the older plastic box

i was very disappointing with the K+N filter and end up selling it off to the lady down the street after about 2 weeks
    i put it in without any extra lining to see how it would go but it left a big gap all the way around the lip that just sucked in hot air
    so i got some weather strips and sealed it in - the performance wasnt that great - it sounded louder but in a ricer gay sort of way
    i lost a bit of the torque that the icebox is known for and lost even more top end
    not to mention my fuel economy was worse as well

im just sticking with the Unifilter - bought a service kit for it from ebay and clean/oil it every time i service
    auto1 now stock the Unifilter and service kits locally as well so thats a bonus for me

i also borrowed a mates Injen CAI kit for a bit and i didnt like that either
    (my favorite civic/integra intake kit is the Fujita one which is similar to the Injen style CAI)
    lost almost all of the low-mid torque, got worse fuel economy, and only got a marginal gain in the top end
    it also lost that nice bmw/merc/audi sports car sound that the icebox makes - swapped out for a hissing and drone and a bit of a racey sound up top

maybe im just getting older and prefer the more refined things..
    in saying that i have a whale type intake on my civic haha >.<
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    i have just a k&n panel filter in mine, makes abit more noise than the standard filter but much better on fuel and pick up has improved.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    The problem I have with the CompTech one is that it's a foam instead of the cotton of the K&N. Seems like a downgrade.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    i originally thought that as well - but the uni-filters have been proven to be better

and i can speak from my own experience that the foam filter flows better and filters better

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Alright, might give it a go. I believe the part about the better air flow, it was just the filtering part that had me questioning it.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    I have both, KN and Uni filter.

The Unifilter gives better response but hell, the K&N filters out more crap.

The unifilter looked pretty rough after a few thousand kay's and you can see the dirt slowing making its way through the sponge.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredoops View Post
    I have both, KN and Uni filter.

The Unifilter gives better response but hell, the K&N filters out more crap.

The unifilter looked pretty rough after a few thousand kay's and you can see the dirt slowing making its way through the sponge.
    strange - i had the opposite results with unifilter vs K+N and i did a couple of trips up around lancelin and back down to busselton
    one trip with k+N and 2 trips with unifilter - k+N had crap on both sides and airbox had debris in the upper half
    unifilter wasnt even that dirty and only had debris in the lower half
    K+N felt louder in a ricey way and slower and i got worse fuel economy
    unifilter got better fuel economy, better response and nicer sound

serviced each one just before i ran a test period
    and the k+n had to have rubber added around the lower lip of the air box after about a week (which only marginally improved things)
    serviced the k+n with the normal off the shelf k+n cleaner/oil pack from auto1
    and serviced the unifilter with the similar kit from ebay america

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Maybe a difference between the older batch and new batch of Iceboxes. I recall the older ones have fitment issues with the K&N, which you seem to have. I haven't had any problems though, seems like a perfect fit for me. I'll give the Uni a try anyways, just to see if there's any difference.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    it doesnt look or feel like theres a fitment issue unless you actually look for it
    i only knew about it from reading TSX forums ...

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Yeah, I've read about that as well. But you should be able to tell, and as far as I can see, there's no leakage around the edge, nor any noise from it not sealing properly. Idono, we'll see when I change over to the Unifilter and drive with it for a while.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    mine didnt make noise - but i could feel a slight pressure change around the edge when the throttle was blipped

its very hard to detect if you dont know what your looking for - its not obvious at all - if you didnt know about it than the K+N filter would install perfectly

if you change to unifilter make sure you get the service kit and give it a good clean and oil first - and no the k+n one doesnt work lol