Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

What else should you replace when changing the timing belt?

Hey guys,

As above, what do you recommend should be done during a timing belt replacement service?

Reason I ask is I'm being told all sorts of things should be done, like cam seals, water pump, head gasket, but the car has only done 35 000km since the last timing belt job and I don't want to be replacing good parts. I don't plan on keeping the car for the next 5 years either.

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2 Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by rhys.l View Post
    Hey guys,

As above, what do you recommend should be done during a timing belt replacement service?

Reason I ask is I'm being told all sorts of things should be done, like cam seals, water pump, head gasket, but the car has only done 35 000km since the last timing belt job and I don't want to be replacing good parts. I don't plan on keeping the car for the next 5 years either.
    If you use the "Dayco" kit, it comes with cam belt, tesioner, cam seals, front main seal & correct seal lubricant for installation.
    If water pump is leaking, or feels "iffy" replace this too...
    Rocker cover gaskets are also a good idea.
    Belt cover rubber seals can be re-attached with contact adhesive if dislodged.

Great, thanks. I was planning on using OEM parts...is there any reason not to?

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2 Euro
    Appart from cost, OEM would be a very good choice.

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    brand new timing belt kit including water pump can be had for 300ish bucks, thats the dayco one, includes all seals ect.

would like to see how much genuine honda kit would cost lol
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

So do most people just use the Dayco gear? Or some other aftermarket brand? If it's got a good rep and no one else has had any probs, I suppose it could be a good option. Everything else I've done on the car I've used OEM parts that's all, was thinking it would be a good idea to continue this especially for something important like a timing belt and water pump.

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2 Euro
    Dayco belts are good... There would be hundreds if not thousands used everyday across the country by mechanics everywhere.

OEM parts are excellent, they just cost more, that's all...
    & TBO it's hard to say if they're any better as both have no drama meeting the service interval.

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    when i was at burson thats what we sold exclusively to all the workshops/ mechanics, never had one come back from failures.
    I'd personally run OEM but dayco is certainly not a 'bad' choice, just a cost effective one.
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    hyundai for example have there timing belts supplied by dayco, this is the case for alot of oem items.
    there is nothing wrong with aftermarket as long as it meets or exceeds oem spec
    Mate my bbk cost more than your Honda.
    -Amant02

Thanks for the replies guys. Had a chat to a mate who used Dayco and it didn't go so well. I think I'll stick with OEM just to be safe.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    as i said before oem probably is dayco, gates or smiler car manufacturers dont make make consumables generally speaking like peugeot, honda citroen hyundai etc etc all use ngk or bosch plugs.
    what happend with your mate? in my experiance belt issues are gennerally a user issue but im happy to be proven wrong as the truth on matters like this is valuable
    Mate my bbk cost more than your Honda.
    -Amant02

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    For Honda
    Their timing belts are supplied by Gates and Mitsuboshi and some others - Not MitsUbishi
    While you're down there doing the timing belt
    replace all the tensioners, springs, bearings, seals and thermostat (if doing water pump)
    And make sure you do the water pump - as having one fail after the timing belt job WILL be a bitch
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum