Member Array
    Car:
    2005 Civic GLi

Lowering my 05 Civic sedan

Hi folks,

I'm pretty new to the world of cars and car modding but I am really loving my new Honda and after seeing some awesome pictures I have decided mine would look great lowered so I was looking to do just that. It's pretty tough to find easy to understand information out there but from what I gather I only need to replace the springs. After looking around here I looked up the Eibach PRO-kit on eBay which is around $450 posted from the US. Is this all I need, plus installation? (I assume I can pay for somewhere here to do that for me) I am not sure if there is a better way to approach this or another way to do it, if someone could give me a quick rundown of features/benefits and costs of doing springs or the shock absorbers as per what I have read in the FAQ that would be very much appreciated. I was also looked at some new wheels with low profile tyres but that's another story Not sure if that will affect the lowering/suspension thing too.

Cheers

P.S. My car is an 05 Civic GLi if that helps.

Member Array
    Car:
    83, 85 &86 lude
    I'm at work so this will be short.

If you want to lower your car and have it last you shoul also think very seriously about the type of shocks you have. Lowering ANY car with springs alone will place greater stress on your shocks as the distance the shock can move up and down during regular driving is decreased (this is the "shock travel"). The more stress on your shocks the more chance there is of the shock botoming out, that is, exceeding the travel internally and hitting the casing evidenced by the "clunking" sound you will here. Ultimately this will lead to your shocks blowing and in the mean time some very poor ride feel.

Low profile tyres with only adjustable lowering springs will also make you feel the road more. You will feel every bump and crevise and the lower you go the more you will feel.

If you can manage a couple of hundred extra I'm sure you can get a full Coilover or shock/spring combination which will suit what you want.

A couple of questions - what type of driving do you do - as in do you anticipate on going to a track? Do you have to go over poorly sealed roads? Are there lots of speed bumps in your regular driving? and most importantly how low do you really want to go - Perhaps you can post up a picture of the desired effect you are after?

Good luck.

Zaahir
    1986 JDM DOHC B20A Gold Top Prelude: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...-honda-prelude
    Want JDM? I can source it for you - PM for details

Member Array
    Car:
    2005 Civic GLi
    Quote Originally Posted by zedries View Post
    I'm at work so this will be short.

If you want to lower your car and have it last you shoul also think very seriously about the type of shocks you have. Lowering ANY car with springs alone will place greater stress on your shocks as the distance the shock can move up and down during regular driving is decreased (this is the "shock travel"). The more stress on your shocks the more chance there is of the shock botoming out, that is, exceeding the travel internally and hitting the casing evidenced by the "clunking" sound you will here. Ultimately this will lead to your shocks blowing and in the mean time some very poor ride feel.

Low profile tyres with only adjustable lowering springs will also make you feel the road more. You will feel every bump and crevise and the lower you go the more you will feel.

If you can manage a couple of hundred extra I'm sure you can get a full Coilover or shock/spring combination which will suit what you want.

A couple of questions - what type of driving do you do - as in do you anticipate on going to a track? Do you have to go over poorly sealed roads? Are there lots of speed bumps in your regular driving? and most importantly how low do you really want to go - Perhaps you can post up a picture of the desired effect you are after?

Good luck.

Zaahir
    Thanks for the tips! Money isn't an issue as I want this kind of thing done properly.

In regards to your questions no I don't drive on a track ever. And no unsealed roads, though I do drive over a few speed bumps (carparks mostly)

The best photo I could find was this on Google http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0017_large.jpg
    Same car I kinda like the height on that one, doesn't seem too low.

Member Array
    Car:
    83, 85 &86 lude
    Ok then.

Can you post a link to the springs you found on eBay?

If you want to be able to have control over your ride height and stiffness I would look at the full coilover set up. You will love the feel of a solid set up and you will get better handling response.

I will think about what brands and post some suggestions later but if you em search civic forums you will have some good info out there.

How mechanically minded are you? Coilovers are pretty easy to install. Particularly on a newer car where parts haven't seized over time - otherwise expect to pay a couple of hundred at a shop.
    1986 JDM DOHC B20A Gold Top Prelude: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...-honda-prelude

Member Array
    Car:
    2005 Civic GLi
    Ok then.

Can you post a link to the springs you found on eBay?

If you want to be able to have control over your ride height and stiffness I would look at the full coilover set up. You will love the feel of a solid set up and you will get better handling response.

I will think about what brands and post some suggestions later but if you em search civic forums you will have some good info out there.

How mechanically minded are you? Coilovers are pretty easy to install. Particularly on a newer car where parts haven't seized over time - otherwise expect to pay a couple of hundred at a shop.
    It's my first car so I'm not that mechanically minded just learning as I go. I think I would be best off paying to get them installed.

The springs I found were these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181224394...84.m1423.l2649 however all the coilovers I looked at seemed to be brands which from what I Google'd were terrible. The brands being Skunk2, D2, Function & Form, XYZ, Yellow.

Just saw these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JDM-Sport...d8be827&_uhb=1 JDM is a brand I have heard of haha. What do you think?
    Last edited by frostee; 14-10-2013 at 09:37 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    ES1 Turbo, EK1
    where are you locaterd, i wouldnt mind doing a swap if you are in melb, im running BC coilovers.
    Car: 05' Civic Turbo Car: EK 97'
    Motor - D17 Motor - B20T
    Winton - 1:47 Winton - 1:46
    7th Gen Melbourne #1

Member Array
    Car:
    2005 Civic GLi
    Quote Originally Posted by Riced_Civic View Post
    where are you locaterd, i wouldnt mind doing a swap if you are in melb, im running BC coilovers.
    Wollongong, NSW unfortunately. Though I do get down near the border a fair bit hmmmm.

Member Array
    Car:
    83, 85 &86 lude
    Those lowering springs are an ok brand. Never heard anything really bad but those coilovers look like hi ear knock offs.

Look out for tein's or another Japanese brand that are rebuildable.

I will let you know my opinion when I've really thought about it but for the minute you may want to stay away from those generic JDM brands. I'm sure you can get better ones for the same price those are listed as. Just my thoughts on the Chinese brands...

Oh and I'm sure there are some members in Wollongong who would help you out. Suspension is a good way to learn about cars. If you were near Sydney I would help you out.

Member Array
    Car:
    2005 Civic GLi
    Those lowering springs are an ok brand. Never heard anything really bad but those coilovers look like hi ear knock offs.

Look out for tein's or another Japanese brand that are rebuildable.

I will let you know my opinion when I've really thought about it but for the minute you may want to stay away from those generic JDM brands. I'm sure you can get better ones for the same price those are listed as. Just my thoughts on the Chinese brands...

Oh and I'm sure there are some members in Wollongong who would help you out. Suspension is a good way to learn about cars. If you were near Sydney I would help you out.
    Sydney's not too far

I was looking at Koni as well which are apparently decent http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KONI-YELL...7415be2&_uhb=1
    Problem I find is there are sooooo many different models and makes of everything it's hard to know if stuff is compatible.

Member Array
    Car:
    83, 85 &86 lude
    Quote Originally Posted by frostee View Post
    Sydney's not too far

I was looking at Koni as well which are apparently decent http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KONI-YELL...7415be2&_uhb=1
    Problem I find is there are sooooo many different models and makes of everything it's hard to know if stuff is compatible.
    Lol yep I wish I had that problem with my old prelude - it is either made for my car or I make it fit! Ha ha.

Best bet is to check out the civic forums in the states and see what they say.

Think about the kind if ride you want, the ability to adjust and any other mods you may do for handling like upper strut bar or sway bars. All these thing are important. Don't be a noob like me and bolt on ricer crap to your first car! Lol...

Yes Sydney ain't that far... Find your coilovers and we can talk. Lol.