Member Array
    Car:
    EK4

Can tyre chatter be generated from badly installed driveshaft?

As the title says people.

If the driveshaft is not installed properly (either at the gear box and hub) or if there is something wrong with it, can tyre chatter occur during cornering?

Other things have noticed is the steering wheel wobbles a little at lower speeds i.e. 50-60km/hr but the car drives straight and wheels are balanced.
    The faster i go the less the steering wheel wobbles. Its not the wheel bearing either.

Thanks
    Quang
    Green and Gold Ghetto EK4
    OEM Front Lip, Ghetto Special CAI, ASR Brace, ITR Rear Sway, N+ Coilovers, X-Force Headers and TL Muffler, Custom B Pipe, type-r rear lip, OEM visors

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    how about an allignment?

i dont know how anyone could not install the driveshaft properly if it wasnt you would have gearbox oil leak. one side pops in to the tranny easy, the other side slides onto the hub and the nut holds it.

unless the internals of the CVs were gone, and i thought that would only get worse with speed?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    if there is something wrong with the drive shaft yes it could cause chattering but as stated you would have bigger issues then chattering if it was incorrectly installed..
    wanna tell us the rest of the story?
    Mate my bbk cost more than your Honda.
    -Amant02

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Face View Post
    how about an allignment?

i dont know how anyone could not install the driveshaft properly if it wasnt you would have gearbox oil leak. one side pops in to the tranny easy, the other side slides onto the hub and the nut holds it.

unless the internals of the CVs were gone, and i thought that would only get worse with speed?
    if the hub side is loose, you can jack up the car and tug the wheel, you should hear/see movement to show that it's not done up properly.

also you should hear a thud whenever you weight transfer.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    why is it not wheel bearings?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    because its a secret apparently..
    inb4bought used drive shaft
    Mate my bbk cost more than your Honda.
    -Amant02

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveho1 View Post
    if there is something wrong with the drive shaft yes it could cause chattering but as stated you would have bigger issues then chattering if it was incorrectly installed..
    wanna tell us the rest of the story?
    Hi everyone,
    So the story is i had a seized LHS hub on driveshaft and the CV boot had split. As the mechanic couldn't separate the hub and driveshaft, i got a second hand hub/knuckle (from a EK1) and got them to install it with a aftermarket driveshaft (sourced by them).
    I had the wheel bearing checked and got a full wheel alignment, everything was ok and straight.
    After that i went to Eastern Creek and i was experiencing tyre chatter during right hand turns.

During the whole time i had the track tyres on, i did notice a pulsing noise when driving around town (similar to a wheel bearing noise) got it checked and the bearings came up ok. We ended up putting it down to a hard spot on the front left tyre. However, when i swapped back to the stockies, the noise was still there at low speed and the chatter was also still there. I also noticed that the lower speeds the wheel would wobble slightly (with the track tyres it wobbled alot less). Both the noise and wobble are at their worst at lower speeds 50ish km/hr would go away at higher speeds. Since it still happens with the stockies i figured it has to do something with either the driveshaft or the knuckle/hub assembly.

Pretty sure the hub doesn't moved when shook may have to check the gearbox for leaks.

So thats the story.

Any ideas?
    OEM Front Lip, Ghetto Special CAI, ASR Brace, ITR Rear Sway, N+ Coilovers, X-Force Headers and TL Muffler, Custom B Pipe, type-r rear lip, OEM visors

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    put the car on jack stands at the front with the hand brake up, and do 50km/h with the front wheels in the air (well in the air not a few cms off the ground)

see if you can hear a noise see a wobble, and report back also while its up BEFORE you start doing 50km/h check the driveshaft by pulling on it, get a friend to do the pulling incase it falls so you will be safe.

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    Quote Originally Posted by quang View Post
    Hi everyone,
    So the story is i had a seized LHS hub on driveshaft and the CV boot had split. As the mechanic couldn't separate the hub and driveshaft, i got a second hand hub/knuckle (from a EK1) and got them to install it with a aftermarket driveshaft (sourced by them).
    I had the wheel bearing checked and got a full wheel alignment, everything was ok and straight.
    After that i went to Eastern Creek and i was experiencing tyre chatter during right hand turns.

During the whole time i had the track tyres on, i did notice a pulsing noise when driving around town (similar to a wheel bearing noise) got it checked and the bearings came up ok. We ended up putting it down to a hard spot on the front left tyre. However, when i swapped back to the stockies, the noise was still there at low speed and the chatter was also still there. I also noticed that the lower speeds the wheel would wobble slightly (with the track tyres it wobbled alot less). Both the noise and wobble are at their worst at lower speeds 50ish km/hr would go away at higher speeds. Since it still happens with the stockies i figured it has to do something with either the driveshaft or the knuckle/hub assembly.

Pretty sure the hub doesn't moved when shook may have to check the gearbox for leaks.

So thats the story.

Any ideas?
    eliminate all the variables.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4
    So just to close this one out. It turns out it was a driveshaft issue. Two things, the new outer shaft on the passenger side installed turned out to be the wrong length, it was longer that standard. The second bit was that something was wrong with the installation, the driveshaft had a bit too much play it in where i could make it knock as i pulled it in and out at the junction of the mid and outer shaft.
    Thanks to stndrd for helping me find and sort out the source of the issue.